Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting in a new engine for my 96 Impala. The radiator overflow tank has some crud in it after 14 years. Any tips on how to clean this out? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
fill it 1/3rd full of water and simple green then add a hand full of gravel
then shake it like it like all get out

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
or you can use copper BB's....they work pretty good

·
Registered
76 Posts
use ice cubes, it works just as good and you dont have to worry about getting them out.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone! Do I need to take the level sensor out or will it survive the shaking with ice, gravel, or BB's?

·
Premium Member
6,706 Posts
Is this the high performance radiator overflow tank? Or just a high performance cleaning?

High performance.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is this the high performance radiator overflow tank? Or just a high performance cleaning?

High performance.
High performance dex cool, high performance water, high performance tank, high performance sludge. Therefore was looking for a high performance cleaning solution.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Although high performance :), it's not really an overflow tank since it is a pressurized part of your cooling system. It's a coolant reservoir.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Although high performance :), it's not really an overflow tank since it is a pressurized part of your cooling system. It's a coolant reservoir.
Great point!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I tried a lot of different cleaning methods, acid, dish soap, ice cubes, BB's, simple green, purple power, toilet cleaner, vinegar, and baking soda. I even combined a few of them, but the best was dish washer detergent (powder) and hot water (140 deg.F or so) shake it, let sit for a few hours, shake some more, and then rinse, and repeat. I think the BB's worked good, but getting them all out was a pain. After about 3 days of messing with it, it looks nice, no ugly dark spots showing through. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
This proves how important it is to pull the knock sensors and do a proper flush when doing a coolant change. If the plastic tank looks dirty, what do you think the block, heads, and radiator look like?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For what it is worth...

I tried a number of different things. I read somewhere that oxi clean would do the trick. Didn't believe it but decided to give it a try. It actually worked great!

I put the oxi clean in there with boiling water, shook it up a little, and let is soak over night. Did this twice and the tank is now completely clean. Looks brand new now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts