Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1995 buick roadmaster limited. I have a small leak on the left side of my radiator and it causes my temperature guage to float causing the hot light to cut on. my question is is it best to get a new radiator or patch up the leak?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Depends on the age and mileage on the radiator, but odds of a cheap fix and it appearing again versus rad. replacement. Most likely it will happen again meaning inconvience and labor costs if you pay to have it done. If it were me I would replace the radiator.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Not worth running the risk of having a patch job fail at the most inopertune time. Replace it, they are not that expensive.

·
Registered
991 Posts
If the leak is in the plastic side tank, a good radiator shop can replace just the side tank.
I had this done a few years ago and so far so good.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
While replacing just the side tank sounds like a good way to go, if your is the original then consider that the rest of the plastic is also getting more brittle and you can start developing issues in other locations. This includes fittings where the oil lines or transmission lines are routed. Even a minor leak from one of those fittings can result in problems, like hose damage that goes unnoticed until it bursts. That was happening to mine. Rad had a crack in the plastic side tank, but when we pulled the rad we also saw that the bottom hose was swelling due to a small leak in the transmission fitting. If you are sure that everything else is ok with your rad and hoses, then you can probably get by with just a repair. Question is how long is the rest of that old rad going to hold up?

·
Registered
991 Posts
While replacing just the side tank sounds like a good way to go, if your is the original then consider that the rest of the plastic is also getting more brittle and you can start developing issues in other locations. This includes fittings where the oil lines or transmission lines are routed. Even a minor leak from one of those fittings can result in problems, like hose damage that goes unnoticed until it bursts. That was happening to mine. Rad had a crack in the plastic side tank, but when we pulled the rad we also saw that the bottom hose was swelling due to a small leak in the transmission fitting. If you are sure that everything else is ok with your rad and hoses, then you can probably get by with just a repair. Question is how long is the rest of that old rad going to hold up?
A good point. I determined all else was in good shape when I opted to replace just the side tank.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i got the radiator out of a caddy fleetwood 5.7 so it was used but in great. the problem was i had to replace my radiator fan motor and unfortunately i picked up the wrong screw and punctured a small hole in the side tank sooo patch it, replace the side tank, or get a new radiator?:confused:

·
Registered
991 Posts
Patching plastic is always iffy. If you think the radiator is in good shape, I'd just replace the side tank. It's alot cheaper than a whole new radiator.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.