Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed yesterday that my radiator is leaking from the side tank to core gasket. Anybody have any expierence repairting this? Should I just go out and get another radiator? I have a good radiator shop close by, but I am hesitant to lat anyone else touch my car becase I don't like to blame other people for my stuff breaking. I found the side tank and gasket at rock auto which makes me think this is a reasonable repair. I would much rather get a new radiator if it's going to be a pain in the ass. Also the radiator I have in the car came with the wrong size oil cooler fittings. It had 1/4 inverted flare fittings instead of 5/16ths (i think thats correct). Made getting that to seal a bitch. any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I just noticed yesterday that my radiator is leaking from the side tank to core gasket. Anybody have any expierence repairting this? Should I just go out and get another radiator? I have a good radiator shop close by, but I am hesitant to lat anyone else touch my car becase I don't like to blame other people for my stuff breaking. I found the side tank and gasket at rock auto which makes me think this is a reasonable repair. I would much rather get a new radiator if it's going to be a pain in the ass. Also the radiator I have in the car came with the wrong size oil cooler fittings. It had 1/4 inverted flare fittings instead of 5/16ths (i think thats correct). Made getting that to seal a bitch. any suggestions?
The radiator side tanks are plastic and are known to crack. I had similar situation with my 1991 Cadillac Seville. Despite it was only driver side tank, I have ordered both side tanks from gmpartsdirect.com. The tanks came with all the gaskets, so there was no need to order gaskets separately. The cost of the tanks was about $70 total. I have retained the original core and replaced the side tanks. It is doable but IS NOT WORTH the time and effort. Get a new aftermarket radiator for about $150 and replace the whole thing.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Thats about what I had figured. Any reccomendations for which radiator I should go with? I don't want to get another crappy radiator.
I cannot recommend anything I have not tried myself, so probably other members will chime in with recommendations.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Not from experience, But i have noticed people on the forum have used Be Cool and Griffin Radiators. I believe those are the names of the companies. Both American made and havn't heard anything bad (yet).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I scored a 94 9C1 radiator from craigslist for $40. Couldn't pass it up. It does not have an oil cooler though and I think that I'm just going to hose the two lines together until I find a cooler to use. Anyone have a set of 9C1 cooler lines they're not using?

·
Registered
3,000 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I already have a radiator to use, but it (just like the one in the ebay auction) does not have an engine oil cooler. I am now looking for just either a 9c1 oil cooler and lines setup or an aftermarket oil cooler that I can use by modifying my stock lines. It is still cold enough around here that I can just take a hose and tie the ends together with hose clamps and be fine untill the summer. I think that's going to happen tomorrow morning after I finish the brakes. It seams that everything that can go bad on the car is going bad.

·
Registered
8,637 Posts
You are near Darien, by Chicago? Honestly, it doesn't get hot enough here, to have the oil cooler. My Roadmaster doesn't have it. The oil temp has never really gotten that hot, even when hot lapping at the dragstrip. Infact, on my Other Roadmaster, that had the oil cooler, I just replaced the oil filter adaptor with one from a car that didn't have the lines.

But if you want a quality radiator, I would get one from Radiators.com. Lifetime warrenty, and not a bad price. The one in my Roadmaster from them, has the oil cooler on it, just capped off. It's a few years old, and is working fine. Can't say the same for the cheap radiator I put in my Red Roadmaster.... year later, it was leaking in the same spot. Upper drivers side corner. That one didn't have an oil cooler.

·
Registered
529 Posts
radiator "with oil cooler" vs. trans cooler?

I thought all our radiators have trans. fluid coolers.

So when radiators are listed as with/without oil cooler, does that mean oil cooler in addition to always-present trans cooler?

I'm trying to find a decent replacement for our 91 sedan, which I'm pretty certain has 2 metal lines in addition to the radiator hoses. Is it 2 metal lines = no oil cooler, 4 metal lines = oil cooler?

TIA.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
If it has threaded fittings on both sides, then it has both oil and tranny cooler. If its only on the passenger side, its only a tranny cooler

·
Registered
529 Posts
Thanks.

Having now determined by phone that our 91 has no oil cooler lines, I've found that the only decent yet affordable rad available would be one with oil cooler from Thepartsladi. No problem, I reckon. (My daughter says she sees something that looks like unused oil cooler ports on the old one as well.)

But now it gets more difficult, and I'm out of clue:

We do not seem to have a low coolant sensor, yet all the available rads have a hole for one.
On photos, it looks like they come with a plastic plug screwed into the hole, but it wouldn't seem like you can leave that in place, can you? Do I just have to buy a low coolant switch to plug the hole?

...or am I confused and this is actually a drain plug that's fine to leave in place? The hole in question is at the very bottom of the driver's side tank, pointing to the back of the car like all the hose connections. The listings actually list "low coolant sensor" among the car specs. Is this the same thing, is the sensor hole elsewhere, or is the sensor integral (as it ought to be) and merely a wire plugs in?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts