Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, more maintenance to rob me of mod money. Time for a new rad. I want to make the replacement simple, but wouldn't be bothered with doing minor changes if needed for a much more effective rad. I don't have and cannot really justify buying any specialty tools if changing fittings would require that.

So, for a 1994 9C1 with the stock radiator (oil cooler, etc), what is a good replacement? Is the Be Cool still the one to go with? What all is involved in the swap as far as changing fittings or is it a direct fit? I noticed they come with an internal transmission cooler, as opposed to the engine oil cooler that the 9C1 has. I have an external transmission cooler (not the 9C1 factory cooler), so is it reasonable to run the engine oil through the Be Cool transmissoin cooler portion, or should I just bypass internal rad coolers altogether and just get the standard dual core rad from them?

Anyone have any other suggestions that would be better than a stock replacement but a fairly straight forward swap?

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
A new stock radiator is very adequate unless you have special application needs. I drive a wagon in 115 degree deserts and long mountain grades with no problems. Deleting the mech fan meant NO CHANGE in cooling effectiveness. A clean system is the key. Look at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-9...ries?hash=item5d2507d116&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

The 9C1 has a notch for the hard oil cooler lines which you may or may not be using. Talk to the folks at thepartsladi if you need the 9C1 type - they know their stuff. You don't need any special tools but double wrench at the cooler fittings and use a flare wrench. Use some of the $$ you are saving for a set of FSM. A Be Cool in Canada - Why?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was considering the be cool so that if I ever get to the future mods I want, the radiator would never be an issue. However, they are at least $500. After shipping and duties, I'd be paying way more than I want to at this point in time.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I was considering the be cool so that if I ever get to the future mods I want, the radiator would never be an issue. However, they are at least $500. After shipping and duties, I'd be paying way more than I want to at this point in time.
There are plenty of users with mild to highly moded cars using the stock radiator with no problems. Make sure every other part of the cooling system is up to snuff and you will be fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.