Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to upgrade my radiator. I don’t want to pay Be Cool prices. Anyone with experience with the KKS brand radiator?

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Why are you upgrading your radiator? 99% of the time, if you're running hot - it isn't the radiator's fault

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Car isn’t running hot (not even after a beating). I plugged the TB coolant passages, i have a 160 degree thermostat and Electric water pump a WHILE ago. I figured i would go ahead and replace/upgrade the radiator and throw in some ice...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any consensus on 1-row vs 3-row radiators? I just ordered the KKS 3-row all aluminum radiator for less than $250 with lifetime warranty. Supposed to be a direct replacement.

KKS 3 ROW STAMP TANK ALL ALUMINUM RADIATOR 94-96 CHEVY Caprice/Impala 4.3 5.7L

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
I don't recall who the supplier was at the moment, but I know a thread within the last 6 months or so listed the all-aluminum model a member had installed.
m
THAT would certainly be what I'd be looking at in the case I do need a replacement any time soon
(NO deer, you stay away from my car!!)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don't recall who the supplier was at the moment, but I know a thread within the last 6 months or so listed the all-aluminum model a member had installed.
m
THAT would certainly be what I'd be looking at in the case I do need a replacement any time soon
(NO deer, you stay away from my car!!)
That'd be me. It's the Liland 1517AA in a 96 Impala. It has a few hundred miles on it and it has been good so far. BTW, I got mine from carparts.com for a little cheaper with a code. I can tell you that Liland was quick to answer when I sent them a question via Messenger during the install.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Car isn’t running hot (not even after a beating). I plugged the TB coolant passages, i have a 160 degree thermostat and Electric water pump a WHILE ago. I figured i would go ahead and replace/upgrade the radiator and throw in some ice...
You also have the programming for the thermostat? I put the 160 stat in and had the pcm programmed for it and Tri-Y headers. Now my wife freezes in the car.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
That'd be me. It's the Liland 1517AA in a 96 Impala. It has a few hundred miles on it and it has been good so far. BTW, I got mine from carparts.com for a little cheaper with a code. I can tell you that Liland was quick to answer when I sent them a question via Messenger during the install.
Thanks for following up with this thread, just for my own selfish reasons. I'm going to print out the thread to store in my 3-ring binder with other 'keeper' threads I have saved & printed.

Surprising, as I did a right-click search for it, and Amazon listed as out of stock. Well a few scrolls and clicks show RockAuto to have it these days.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for following up with this thread, just for my own selfish reasons. I'm going to print out the thread to store in my 3-ring binder with other 'keeper' threads I have saved & printed.

Surprising, as I did a right-click search for it, and Amazon listed as out of stock. Well a few scrolls and clicks show RockAuto to have it these days.
You're welcome, we hafta stick together to keep these dinosaurs on the road. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with a set of binders full of arcane information. That is a great price at Rockauto. I know that Liland is working hard to get their products to more retailers, which should result in even more competition. Another aluminum radiator I found in my research was Cold Case. It was about $325.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Programmed for 160 degree thermostat (Keith PCMforLESS). I have no heat - headers didn’t like where my heater core came through the fire wall. I’ll tackle a/c after I run 11 secs this spring.

My wife will not ride in my DGGM.The sounds and aroma of exhaust through CIA Quad-1 1-3/4" Headers, Pypes 2.5 dual exhaust with x pipe and flowmaster T-10 mufflers are an acquired taste!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All three radiators mentioned are different. Iiland radiator (1 row), kks radiator (3 row) and cold case radiator (oversized 2 row). All three are aluminum and supposed to be a direct fit.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Any consensus on 1-row vs 3-row radiators? I just ordered the KKS 3-row all aluminum radiator for less than $250 with lifetime warranty. Supposed to be a direct replacement.

KKS 3 ROW STAMP TANK ALL ALUMINUM RADIATOR 94-96 CHEVY Caprice/Impala 4.3 5.7L

It really depends. On aluminum radiators the tube width is just as important, so a 3 row with smaller tubes could actually have less tube to fin surface area than a 1 row with larger tubes. Bottom line is you typically get what you pay for, both in R&D/performance and quality control. if you google you'll find a lot of guys who went from 3 or 4 row radiators to 1 or 2 core radiators and improved cooling after swapping out their eBay special with a name brand.

It's a lot like intercoolers in that there are typically pretty big efficiency differences between the ones built from cheap imported cores and the ones build with name brand cores like Garret.

If you compare radiators with the same exact tube size/construction, more rows will be an improvement but the point being it doesn't mean that radiator is better than another brand's 1 row.

Either way though, I'd imagine ANY aluminum radiator is going to be work more efficiently than a factory radiator as long as the fans fit correctly/well sealed to the core.

·
Registered
116 Posts
SSandman makes some valid comments. You might query the manufacturers with your specific requests. Liland and Cold Case have facebook pages and are very responsive to questions. I would be interested to know if the Cold Case or Be Cool are that much different in performance than the other aluminum radiators.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
SSandman makes some valid comments. You might query the manufacturers with your specific requests. Liland and Cold Case have facebook pages and are very responsive to questions. I would be interested to know if the Cold Case or Be Cool are that much different in performance than the other aluminum radiators.
Yes good points indeed. I'm not sure as to how much detail they would go into, but if you did decide to investigate and ask them some detailed questions, it would be interesting to know:

-what gauge of material the radiator fins, cross-tubes, tanks, and other components are made of?

-Also, what grade or alloy type of aluminum is used? Is it the same for all components?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts