Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a '95 SS, how difficult is it to pull out the factory radio/cassette deck and replace it with the factory radio/CD player? Will the wire harness from the car hoook into the CD player, or is a new one required? Is the dash difficult to remove/replace?

Thanx in advance! :cool:

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The whole process should take no more than 15 - 20 min. You need a 7mm socket to dis-assemble the dash and the same socket to remove radio from structure. If it is a GM factory CD than all plugs should match and fit right into dash.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the heads up. Any trouble spots I should look out for in the dash disassembly? I'd hate to break anything! :eek:

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just take your time and be careful when you start pulling the dash assembly apart. On my car, there are three screws that are easy to miss. One's behind the fuse access panel on the driver's side, one's in the left hand side of the instrument cluster and one's on the right hand side of the ashtray assembly and points straight up into the dash (not forward towards the front of the car). You also have to remove the two screws that hold the instrument cluster bezel in place (they're in the top of the bezel and point straight up) and pull the bezel forward before you can remove the lower dash assembly. This may sound stupid, but don't forget to open the glove box and, if you want to pull the assembly all the way out of the car to get it out of the way, disconnect the ashtray light. If you find yourself having a real problem pulling the assembly off, go back and look for the screw you missed. It should pop off with some resistance, but not fight you too much. Finally, the whole thing will only take you 15 or 20 minutes if you're superhuman. ;) If you're more like me, it will take something like an hour from the time you start to the time you put everything back together.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Erik:
and one's on the right hand side of the ashtray assembly and points straight up into the dash (not forward towards the front of the car).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep, :rolleyes: missed that one myself the first time. Just don't force anything...if it won't pop loose with a good tug, you forgot one.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Leave the ashtray in place and closed while you pull the dash cover off.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ended up buying a 1995 Caprice 9C1, not an Impala. Is radio/dash installation different, or does all the above instructions/advice still apply? Anything different on the 9C1 than on a regular Caprice?

:confused:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still applies. I just got done putting a 96 impala cd player in my 94 caprice wagon. It is identical in taking it apart and install.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The whole process should take no more than 15 - 20 min. You need a 7mm socket to dis-assemble the dash and the same socket to remove radio from structure. If it is a GM factory CD than all plugs should match and fit right into dash.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Saw the post and want to know about getting to the coax antenna plug on the radio - I can't find it - does the radio have to come out. I replaced my auto antenna with a fixed
and need to plug that lead in. I broke the original one at the coax connector behind fuse
box in engine bay and can't get enough slack to re terminate. Would love to talk to you. Lou B 818-767-8555

1 - 11 of 11 Posts