Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone kno the dimensions of the RAISS air intake? my dad teaches in a high school metal shop and i have plenty of sheet metal laying around.i also could use sum more welding practice, and id like to save some money, since i could make it most likely. if anyone has one and would like to measure it for me, it would be greatly appreciated.
thank you
mike

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For what my opinion is worth, I would hope no one posts them.
I do think you are free to make your own, and especially if you want to save money, go for it! I am not discouraging it. I just don't think you should make one (especially if you have experience with sheet metal)with your expertise.

Who knows, maybe you can make something bigger and better, but lets not undercut the guys who spend a lot of time and money bulding these by posting the dimensions here.

It shouldn't be hard to get them, and who knows, someone may post them.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry "9c1caprice95", I have to (for once ;) ) agree with Thump. I am currently building one, and it is NOT EASY ! I never asked how, I'm just checking out all the pics. If I can't figure it out then I might as well pay the $250 to get a real one (you get cool stickers with that one too). The guys who enginered this one obviously thought long and hard, give them their dues !!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Thump:
I do think you are free to make your own, and especially if you want to save money, go for it! I am not discouraging it. I just don't think you should make one (especially if you have experience with sheet metal)with your expertise.

Who knows, maybe you can make something bigger and better, but lets not undercut the guys who spend a lot of time and money bulding these by posting the dimensions here.

I agree 100%

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Thump:

Couldn't agree more. If you want make your own, you'll have to work a little harder than that. I'm sure someone will eventually pony up for you, but I hope they do it off forum, if at all.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Send me $50 and I'll send you dimensions...

Mike

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think too many would have a problem with that

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To copy someone's idea might be one thing, but to ask the inventor to send you the exact specifications so their hardwork and research goes for nothing, so you can do an exact knockoff...that's asking too much. Design your own, be original with your ideas.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mike,

You reading this?

Don't like it when someone copies your stuff do you?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Area51Perf:
Mike,

You reading this?

Well he posted above, and for $50 it looks like he doesn't mind....

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mike,

You reading this?

I was wondering how long it would be until you got on here

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by 9c1caprice95:
does anyone kno the dimensions of the RAISS air intake?
Just take some cardboard, make a template that fits, get some aluminum, make it oversize, start trimming till the hood closes.
Worked for me.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok well i understand where you guys are coming from, its understandable and YES i found it from another source. but im not going to make it like that i figured out an easier way that is sortive like it but more original.
thanx
any way

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by Mnnblk95:
To copy someone's idea might be one thing, but to ask the inventor to send you the exact specifications so their hardwork and research goes for nothing, so you can do an exact knockoff...that's asking too much. Design your own, be original with your ideas.
well i posted it here didnt i, i didnt go to the makers directly and ask them. and who says im making a complete knockoff, i just figured IF i had some dimensions to start with it would be a little easier, just a question.. not trying to rip people off or anything.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Paul I posted I'd sell him the dimensions.

Nobody took anything from your designs that competes with you so stop whining...

Just FYI guys, Paul is pissed because about 2 years ago we incorporated the design of his radiator hold down into the RAISS. I already had it planned out but another person stated they saw it on his site and bought one from him (radiator hold down). We took the RAISS and the radiator hold down to the fabricator and the rest is history.

Paul somehow believes that we stole from him but I have yet to sell a radiator hold down in my life.

Anything you have to add to this Paul, since you won't return my emails or PM's directly?

Mike

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds like he isn't going to by it either way, so it wouldn't really hurt anyone at all to send him the directions, Mike, or whoever holds the rights to it.

It might just make a customer in the future for one of your other products, and if not, hey, it's all good.

I'm sure if he was going to go into business making rip offs of them, he would buy at least one and make a nice jig off of it.

Just my two cents. I'm not in the position where it is my product being copied, so that is really a hard call to make.

But, honestly, if it was me, and I felt that the person wasn't going to rip me a new one because I was a nice guy, I wouldn't have any problem sending him the measurements offline. Just to help a brother out would be nice, and I am sure he would appreciate it a whole lot.

I have thought about making one, but when it comes down to my time vs. money to make vs. aggrevation, I will buy one when I am ready.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mike,

You sent me one PM where you did nothing but whine.

Let me quote your own words.

Quote " Now that I admit we did "steal" but we're not selling radiator hold downs"

You bought our radiator shroud and in your own words stole it's design and used it as the base of your intake. I called you on it and I'm the *******. Does your intake not replace the plastic radiator hold down? Did you not use our shroud as a base for your intake? So yes you do sell a radiator holddown.

Now someone wants the dimensions for your piece and all your buddies back you up about the guy doing his own design work.

When did you do your own design work on the base of your intake?

Have a nice day.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mike,

You sent me one PM where you did nothing but whine.

Let me quote your own words.

Quote " Now that I admit we did "steal" but we're not selling radiator hold downs"

You bought our radiator shroud and in your own words stole it's design and used it as the base of your intake. I called you on it and I'm the *******. Does your intake not replace the plastic radiator hold down? Did you not use our shroud as a base for your intake? So yes you do sell a radiator holddown.

Now someone wants the dimensions for your piece and all your buddies back you up about the guy doing his own design work.

When did you do your own design work on the base of your intake?

Have a nice day.
PAUL;
I agree with you...Fair is fair and stealing is stealing. The American Way is always to build a better Mouse Trap.

I have some original Designs too. In fact IMHO a $20 Sewar Set up works just as well. The RAISS covers too much of the Engine when you have to work on it. The RAISS pan does work well for holding tools.

AS far a RAM effect with the RAISS I feel it is over-rated. BUT my wife understands it better then the Sewar Set ups as it is Clean and Shiny.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I really hate to jump in here, but wouldn't be just as easy to fab up a "radiator hold down", using the factory plastic one as a template? The two look very similar......Just speculating here....

Oh and BTW, if that is the case, then someone "copied" GM's design... :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts