Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Originally posted by 96DCMSS:
I really hate to jump in here, but wouldn't be just as easy to fab up a "radiator hold down", using the factory plastic one as a template? The two look very similar......Just speculating here....

Oh and BTW, if that is the case, then someone "copied" GM's design... :rolleyes:
I was thinking along the exact same lines.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Guys why do we try and tear each other apart? These cars are anywhere from 8 to 13 years old. They are not making anymore of them and each year some more die off. Why don't we share the knowledge and try to help each other rather then be so secretive? Like it really matters. If someone was going to copy this intake to sell, well why not just buy one and copy it exactly rather then try and make one from dimensions. Yes someone had to figure them out but someone had to figure out everything for these cars at some point.
Like hey you know we can fit a Z28 cluster in here. Oh and here are the board mods required and how to make the harness.
or here is a good one
hey look a t56 will fit. you just have to change this this and this.

or look the computer well if you get this program and you can change this this and this to make it run better.

9c1caprice95 didn't ask for a free intake he asked for knowledge and i am pretty sure that is the point of this board. Unless i am completely off mark here.

And if the guys are going to start screaming about losing business guess what they won't. Most people don't have the tools, knowledge of them, the time or the want to make it themselves. it is alot easier for some folks just to buy a ready made part and just put it in then it is to sit down and cut something out.

Think or it like clothes. there are patterns available (for free), someone can buy the material and sit down with a sewing machine and make it. but how many people do?

THe point is not to get all bent out of shape over this. IT doesn't look like Mike will be selling anymore of these, so what does it matter if the handfull of people want to make their own?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
You know the guys on the f-body forums wouldn't care. they are will to share almost any type of information.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Originally posted by sephirothq:
9c1caprice95 didn't ask for a free intake he asked for knowledge and i am pretty sure that is the point of this board. Unless i am completely off mark here.

yes, thank you very much, i was just trying to get information, not step on anyones feet or rip anyone off.
thank you

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I have thought both ways on this issue. I can understand not wanting to have the information for your product shared, but I also agree that not everyone is capable of doing it themselves and will buy one if they want one.

Take the Z cluster for instance. John Spears was selling them for alot of money. A few of you figured out how it was done and shared. Super10 started making them at a reasonable price and was STILL kind enough to share pin-outs and board mods with anyone who askes. I believe he still sells some every once in a while and makes a little money off of those who can't do it for themselves.

I can see the end of RAISS production, at least of Mikes involvement, freeing up some of the info on his intake. I believe we need to take care of and support our own. I don't believe in buying a very expensive intake off of a guy that screwed one of our brotheren.

I don't think any of us would build them to sell them, especially not as competition for Mike, but copying it for your own use is fine in my eyes.

My $.02.......if it made any sense. I'm not proofing it

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I just think it's funny Paul that you won't directly talk to me but will only post comments to/about me on the board here.

Tell you what, I hereby request that you make a RAISS knockoff intake and sell them for less...

Mike

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Here's an exerpt from the email I sent Paul for everyone to read...

As far as the previous scenario, you had a conversation with Andy concerning this and not me. I wish I would have been involved but basically we were able to combine our intake with a well designed radiator hold down. Did I need your part to do this? No, I had the idea previous to seeing your part as a way to hold down the radiator however when describing what I wanted to do your part was shown to me. What did this accomplish? Saved about 1 hour of bending a flat piece of aluminum. We do not sell radiator hold downs. We do not compete with you guys on anything you make.
Our fuel rail covers were released before yours as far as I know. I definitely didn't use any part of your fuel rail covers to design ours if they were out at the time we released ours. To be honest I don't look at your site very often at all because I can't afford most of the items there as they don't fit into my "acceleration" budget. Not to mention your items look too good on what I'm trying to pass off as a "stock" LT1 (that's a compliment BTW...)

Paul I think you're a cool guy as far as I know via mutual friends and seeing what you post. If you had a bad conversation with Andy please don't hold it against me. If you would have contacted me directly concerning it I would have happily attempted to work out an amicable solution with you.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
There sure has been a lot of hostility on the site recently.... :rolleyes:

Troy

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Originally posted by sephirothq:
You know the guys on the f-body forums wouldn't care. they are will to share almost any type of information.
Thats not true when it comes to ideas like the RAISS. Seems like when money is to be made and you can get and Idea produced no one helps. They would rather you drool over it like the RAISS and buy one. I never tried the RAISS but a used SSR (got it from a fellow SSer for under $100 and I passed it on for less than that) which is basic of the RAISS and probably where the RAISS idea came about. I didnt like the SSR. I think both are overpriced items. Its just like alot of products that have been produce and sold from people from this forum like the billet door handles... Overpriced for 4 pieces of billet. The only one that I can say that came into the game and tried to change it with good pricing that everyone could afford was Bryan Heter (great guy). He saw haw ED Wright was ripping a new hole and came up with PCMforless. Alot have had great ideas but with high pricing that stuff will hardly move.
Any ideas that would help people save money is a great idea. Anytime I find deals or ways to save money I post them on the forum sites. There is alot of DIYs out there and some just take the ideas and make money from it. Hey thats the American way. BUT if you like me and you love the b-body. You dont care about making money you would do ANYthing to help a fellow b-body guy out.

Like now when I see people selling there old parts from where they have modded it so funny. I sold my parts dirt cheap just to help out the next. I even sold a programmed PCM for $100 one time I paid $300 for it. Stock PCMs are going for that. Everyone just after the dollar let me stop. Just my 2 pennies worth.

When I joined this site that what is was all about. IT has really changed over the years and you dont see the guys from the begining and I think they think the same way. Autocrosser is about the only one I see that still posts form the begining and he always helps.

You made the comment about Super 10 he is another that helped save money and helped anyway he could. He could have charged a arm and a leg for his idea.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I wasn't around when all this hostility came up but it seems like this has been blown all out of proportion. I have heard from several users that while this RAISS really does look cool it doesn't give a significant gain in preformance. I'm looking at the clear image job, still $100 less than the RAISS and I think it even looks better. I've heard nothing but good things about the preformance and the sound of it. But I'd go this way just to avoid all the politics regardless.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Here's all I know about intakes.......... got it?

Now for the other stuff. I have been on this board for quite a while and have dealt with both Mike and Paul seperately and BOTH guys were absolutely great to deal with. For those of you that are not familiar with either guy - let me fill you in on how these guys are.

PAUL:
Paul was kind enough to send me plans for a car hauling trailer that cost him $30. He did it for free. Not alot of guys would do that. I have been reading his posts for a very long time and - on the forum at least - he has always behaved like a professional and a genteleman.

Mike:
When I inquired about a school in Mike's area - without even knowing me, Mike offered me his couch and the hospitality of his home. Very recently, I woke up on the wrong side of the bed and tore into Mike about something VERY stupid. I was a complete @SSHOLE to him and pretty much acted hugely inappropriately. Mike took it all in stride and never seemed to be all that upset about it when he really should have been. I deleted the evidence and apologised profusely and Mike just seemed to take the whole ordeal with a grain of salt and I really to this day feel that he doesn't hold it against me.

Point being - I would vouch for either guy in half a heartbeat. They might not really see each other eye to eye for whatever reason but I do have to commend them both overall for keeping their aggressions G-rated and civil.

Being on a 3 kid budget, I also wouldn't mind having the plans to make my own parts - whatever they might be an intake or a car hauler.

I think that if you are soft enough to classify the discussions occuring here as "hostile" then I am jealous of the lack of true hostility in your life.

9c1caprice95 - good luck on your intake endeavor. I hope the metalfab gods shine down on your project brightly - so long as you don't try to sell them for profit.

That is all, carry on. I'll step down from my soapbox now.

John

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Paul, you are upset that part of your design was copied for a commercial product. Would you have been ok with it if it had been just been a one-off piece for his personal use?

I can only assume the answer would be yes, as John stated you gave him a set of car trailer plans that cost you $30 (obviously a commercial product) for free. Wonder how the guy how sells those plans for part of his income feels about that...

Were you harmed in any way by the copying of your design? I seriously doubt it. I do think the owner of the trailer plans has more to gripe about than you as he lost a potential sale, where you did not.

Now, I do agree that was wrong to use your design without your permission. Matter of fact, I would not have bought my RAISS had I known that.

Your actions with the trailer plans are no different than Mike's, maybe even a little worse as all you had to do was tell John about where to buy a set of his own (a sale), instead you gave it to him. All a matter of perspective, in both cases, someone got something for nothing, that means that somewhere, sometime, someone else will get nothing for something.

Now, the both of you can call me names for a while, maybe talk about how I don't know what I am talking about, fine...have a great time, but just let the first one of you without sin cast that first stone....

-D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
In all fairness, I posted in the for sale and wanted section and asked if anybody would send me a set that they were not using. I was debating wether or not to build my own hauler and wanted to see what all would be involved. I was too cheap to pay $30 plus shipping for just a peek. Nobody lost a sale as I would have never bought them.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Originally posted by CustomSS&30thZ:
When I joined this site that what is was all about. IT has really changed over the years and you dont see the guys from the begining and I think they think the same way. Autocrosser is about the only one I see that still posts form the begining and he always helps.
There are still several of us that post regularly that have been around long before the forum came about. I remember when the IGBA and NAISSO disgests were the big thing :D Now I'll probably get banned for using "IGBA" on this board :eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Incredibly old thread, but does anyone still make / sell the RAISS intake? If not, are the dimensions available? I would rather buy one complete....

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Incredibly old thread, but does anyone still make / sell the RAISS intake? If not, are the dimensions available? I would rather buy one complete …
Doubt it's still available for sale.
It's cheaper to use a single larger filter, but if your engine has heads & cam, you'll need a 2-filter option.
When the search function finally catches up, you'll be able to find dimensions for making your own filter housing somewhere around here …

21 - 38 of 38 Posts