Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Random binding/Ring Gear Came Loose

I'm having an issue where my car will feel like the brakes are stuck on.

I pulled the axles out to examine the bearings and the diff. Everything looks ok including the wear pattern however, the ring gear is loose on the carrier. It can rotate a few degrees fwd and aft. I used locktite and followed the torque spec. Suggestions for a fix cause I'm pretty sure this shouldn't happen?

- Brian

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Either I'm terrible at generating titles that draw people in, or I have automotive issues nobody else has ever even thought about.

I guess I'll re-locktite it and torque them back down to spec.

- Brian

·
Super Moderator
8,894 Posts
I think folks are confused at what you're saying. do you mean that if you remove the rear axle cover, you can rotate the differential forwards and backwards a few degrees without the pinion and driveshaft moving? This is normal - it's called backlash, and you should have 0.006" -0.010" of movement when you measure directly off of the ring gear teeth with a dial indicator.

What it sounds like you are saying is that the ring gear is loose relative to the differential, and that is just really really bad.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think folks are confused at what you're saying. do you mean that if you remove the rear axle cover, you can rotate the differential forwards and backwards a few degrees without the pinion and driveshaft moving? This is normal - it's called backlash, and you should have 0.006" -0.010" of movement when you measure directly off of the ring gear teeth with a dial indicator.

What it sounds like you are saying is that the ring gear is loose relative to the differential, and that is just really really bad.
The ring gear is loose relative to the differential. But I caught it early enough that none of the bolts has actually backed out.

I used red locktite and the correct torque spec when the install was done. The wear pattern looks fantastic still.

Any thoughts on how to keep it from doing this again? I was going to swing by the Speed Shop on the way home and see if they had a set of new ring gear bolts. They're terrible when it comes to vehicles that don't have Gen I small blocks or carbs but I figure the 10 bolt has been around long enough I might be covered.

Secondary could the ring gear being loose cause a random binding condition?

Thanks for the help.

- Brian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts