Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 79 deville had always rattled and shook a lot on bumpy roads, and since I put my hotchkis sway bars and bilstein shocks on, it's way worse. It rides nice on the freeway, but on country roads the whole car creaks rattles and shakes. Whats the best thing I should do as a first step to remedy this? I was thinking I might do the body bushings since they're 26 years old.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
new body bushings are going to firm up your ride even more = more rattling...

the only thing i can suggest is to take it apart adn start tightening anything you can or placing eggcrate and foam in places where you can...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I did the lower bushings, and now some rattles are worse, but others I don't even notice anymore. The hook shakes around on some bumps, so if I can figure out a way to tighten that down that will help I think. Also my seat squeaks in sharp turns.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Ferrisworld:
Well, I did the lower bushings, and now some rattles are worse, but others I don't even notice anymore. The hook shakes around on some bumps, so if I can figure out a way to tighten that down that will help I think. Also my seat squeaks in sharp turns.
What is the hook? Doesn't sound like something essential, so just remove it. :rolleyes:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha, what the hell. Thats a typo. Should have been HOOD, not HOOK. K is pretty far from D too. I guess the best thing to do would be to take the whole car apart and then put it back together. There's a lot of reasons I should do that, but more reasons why I shouldn't since I don't really have the time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha, what the hell. Thats a typo. Should have been HOOD, not HOOK. K is pretty far from D too. I guess the best thing to do would be to take the whole car apart and then put it back together. There's a lot of reasons I should do that, but more reasons why I shouldn't since I don't really have the time.
Kalifornia guys are the kwaziest people. BB

:confused: When Hotchkiss Front SB was installed, were the End Link nuts tightened with vehicle at ride height? You may have toasted those bushings{stabilizer end link bushings, that is}.
NOTE: With full weight of vehikle on suspension, only tighten until bushings just start to bulge!

And adjust that Hook Latch.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If your hood rattles try adjusting the two bumpers ateach front corner. They push up on the hood tokeep it still. If you adjust them and the hood comes up, just adjust the hook latch down and lower the bumpers. Takes a bit of playingaround to get it right, but it's worth it in looks and comfort to the ears.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, I'll do that. Last time I checked those bushings looked fine. Right now I'm having a major issue with the AC system cuz the blower relay keeps blowing and I can't defrost the windows in the rain.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right now I'm having a major issue with the AC system cuz the blower relay keeps blowing ....
Hot wire your Blower Motor, to see if it runs smoothly, and full speed. Also insure good Ground.
If not, R&R B Motor

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've done that, it works fine. I even tried getting a new motor. Still blows the relay. It's got a new programmer, the control head is only 2 years old, I don't know whats going on in there. My 1979 factory shop manual has all kinds of diagrams and I've been studying them bit by bit. Some dude told me to look for worn out wires with metal showing. Talk about a pain in the (neck). Sorry to turn this suspension post into one about my AC system...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You got to find an old time GM HVAC tech, that knows his GM Auto Climate Control System.

Maybe on a lunch hour, hang by a Cadillac Service Center, to see if you can pick one of the A-man's[HVAC Tech] brain.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah, I called a Cadillac Dealership and the guy they had said to look for bad wiring or something else burnt somewhere.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.