Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure what these suspension components are called but spacers on both front wheels have come loose and they rattle like jingle bells every time I hit a bump.

The rattling parts are spacers in the form of a steel hollow rod and steel washers. They slide along a rod that is connected to the lower control arm and some type of support bar positioned below the radiator. If the lower control arm moves abruptly, these things start making noise. I want to cut these things off but not sure if that would cause any adverse effects. My other plan was to put some type of rubber based glue on them to decrease the sound effects.

Attachments

· Registered
447 Posts
Holy Crap!
No wonder it's jingling, you have absolutely no bushings left. I thought mine were loud, yours must sound like a Christmas Santa's Salvation Army Bell!

Go to almost any auto parts and get new End Links with bushings, they are easy to change You'll Love How Quiet they are.

· Registered
73 Posts
I'm not sure what these suspension components are called but spacers on both front wheels have come loose and they rattle like jingle bells every time I hit a bump.

The rattling parts are spacers in the form of a steel hollow rod and steel washers. They slide along a rod that is connected to the lower control arm and some type of support bar positioned below the radiator. If the lower control arm moves abruptly, these things start making noise. I want to cut these things off but not sure if that would cause any adverse effects. My other plan was to put some type of rubber based glue on them to decrease the sound effects.
Uhh... theres supposed to be rubber in there... lol

· Banned
1,259 Posts
Make sure you get the right length replacements.

· Registered
148 Posts
And install them with the car's weight on the wheels. Ramps work well but keep the jack handy in case you have to shift things around.

· Registered
314 Posts
And install them with the car's weight on the wheels. Ramps work well but keep the jack handy in case you have to shift things around.
I installed mine with the wheels up in the air. Do I need to go ahead and reset them?

· Registered
581 Posts
From the looks of it, whom ever installed the end links ran the nut down as far as it'll go, that's bad. It squishes the bushings and they'll go away in no time flat, so take a look here to see where they go. There is another rubber bushing/washer/nut that goes below the A-arm also.

· Premium Member
584 Posts
And to add, they only run about $12 or so.

Sean

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies, I had no idea that rubber was supposed to be there. A few weeks ago I looked in my GM shop manual for a picture of these links and it didnt detail any rubber needed on the diagrams. In the book it just looked like the spacers were press fitted on the metal rod so they wouldnt move around.

Thanks for the pic that shows how they are supposed to look and descriptions of parts I need.......its a fix I know I can do myself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.