Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When im driving my car and i have the windows down i can hear a metal rattling sound from the front suspension. It kinda sounded like the shocks were loose at the top and they were rattling around in the holes but thats not the problem. I think it might be the sway bar hitting the frame. The car is lowered 3 inches in the front with new springs. I parked the car last night and cranked the wheel all the way to the left so i could look at the suspension. And i saw part of the sway bar almost touching the frame. I thought about somehow shortening the links from the LCA to the sway bar so it wouldnt go up as far when there is weight on the springs.

Has anyone done this type of mod or had this problem in their caprice? PLEASE HELP, it makes my car sound like a POS goin down the road!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ANYONE??!!??

Has anyone put on shorter sway bar end links to keep the sway bar from getting pushed up higher from lowering the car?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you have it figured out...

If the car is lowered, you SHOULD replace the end links with a shorter setup--objective is to keep the bar "arms" parallel to the ground.

When you lower the car, the attachment point on the arm to the end link to the LCA's is pointed upward. It should be returned as close as possible to the position it was when the car is at production ride height.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I had my 9C1 on Sprints, when they re-aligned it, the locking nut and bolt were on top of the tie-rod adj. sleeve and they would hit the frame when I'd turn back-and-forth, I just loosened the clamps and rotated them 1/2 turn and re-tightened them, maybe it's that? Maybe loose ft brake pads slapping around in the calipers? Dunno, just some suggestions

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where could i get some shorter end links?? Does everyone change the end links? Eventually im gonna bag it and probably take out the sway bar, but for now i gotta get this rattling to go away.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Jedd:
When I had my 9C1 on Sprints, when they re-aligned it, the locking nut and bolt were on top of the tie-rod adj. sleeve and they would hit the frame when I'd turn back-and-forth, I just loosened the clamps and rotated them 1/2 turn and re-tightened them, maybe it's that? Maybe loose ft brake pads slapping around in the calipers? Dunno, just some suggestions
Thanks for those suggestions, ill look into those also! I think it actually might need a front brake job, they are starting to squeak.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a really nasty rattle in the front over rattles, but it's loose brake pads that were apparently not done correctly--that one possible for you? Really sounds like a coffee can with a few nuts & bolts inside being shaken...but then is immediately gone one you touch the brake and everything is clamped down.

On the other hand, and a different car, my brother was recently having some bad front end rattling in his '86 Regal only to get underneath and find out it was either (I can't remember) tie rod or end link bolts that were broken or missing. Something along those lines, even though he swears it still felt mostly fine--now fixed, the noise is gone.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The front calipers can rattle from worn out caliper bushings. As soon as there's pressure on the brake pedal the noise goes away...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its the brakes! I stepped on the pedal when i heard the noise and it went away. Can I buy these caliper bushings from the dealer or do i have to get new calipers??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I'm not mistaken, you can get them from any autoparts store, just give them a call. You don't have to buy the whole caliper. I have the same problem, and a couple of years ago I called around for the parts. Any of them should have it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I think this may be a project of mine soon too, because after driving again with the windows down today...holy hell does it sound like a can full of bolts shaking around. Until I touch the pedal, that is.

But I've also been having a big issue with a weird feeling under braking and loud creaking from time to time that I can feel, again which I've been told may be an issue with the caliper bushings among other things. We'll see.

Hope you success in fixing yours!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The bushings cost almost nothing. It is advisable to buy a pair of new caliper bolts at the same time because they can build up a ridge and break when removed. They are not a stock item so to avoid downtime it's a good precaution. Usually not all of them will break, one set should cover it. Depends on how long you've been running with shot bushings.

[ 04-01-2007, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: Francois ]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.