Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright i dont know what to do now i've checked everything i can think of but theres still that stupid rattle its drivin me crazy! What could be the problem? every time i hit the slightest bump you can hear it rattling and it so loud i can almost hear it over my exhaust.... I tightend the front SB bushings again, i just replaced them about 4 months ago, and it still wont go away. What could be the problem? any ideas or anything would be very helpfull. Thanks

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Are you sure it´s from the front end?
Do you hear it only when your driver´s window is open? If yes, try to hit a bump with applying the brakes. When the rattling stops with braking it´s just this brake pad issue and you just have to bend the "ears" of the outer brake pads.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im very positive its from the front end. not the brakes cause i just changed the pads a month ago, it just bugs me... Oh ya you shouldnt bend the wear indicators on the pads man bad idea just ask my buddy :D

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you already try´d it with braking on a bump?

I think i did´nt mean the indicator. When you have new pads installed and the caliper mounted, the outer pads have these two ears. One at the top, one below. Are these meant to be indicators?
Both have to been bend till there´s no play and the pad is sitting tight. That´s how it´s written in the Haynes manual.

I mean this:
http://impalassforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=23;t=000114

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the rattle is still there even when hitting the brakes and hitting a bump. so im so lost on what i should do to fix the problem.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the same problem. Did you check exhaust hangers?

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure if this would pertain to your case, but I thought I had a rattle in my front end for a while, then I realized that it was my center caps rattling when I would hit bumps. Might check your center caps on your wheels.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FWIW, on my old car, the mystery rattle was the bolts that hold the cross member to the tranny backed out a good bit, it rattled every bump. Well, more of a clunk really.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll say this enough and eventually may not have to repeat it. For now, the broken record still plays....

Last work done--changed pads?

What else did you do?

What else did you not do that you should have?

We don't have enough info, but.....

I'm going to suggest that you need to check the bushings (yes, they do exist) in the front calipers. Their job is to allow free movement of the calipers (ie. float) while providing noise isolation by avoiding metal-to-metal contact between the caliper slide pins/sleeves.

If all you did was replace the pads, there is a chance the bushings are in need of replacement as well, and under certain conditions there is the presence of noise from the caliper housing's contact on the sleeve(s).

GM caliper service kit 18005606--enough parts and lube for both front calipers.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another thing to check would be your body bushings. If they are degraded enough, the washer on the retaining bolt(s) may be rattling. I know my SS when I first bought it ( thanks GM for the foreward bushing delete from the factory :rolleyes: ) had a simillar rattle, upgraded to the 9C1 bushings and all was well ;)

HTH, Scott

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would the brake pad Ear thing be a consistant squeak? Under 35 MPH I get this rotational squeak. Over 35 MPH The squeak goes away.

Hit the brakes. Its quiet.

The rear brakes also seem to groan when I let off the brakes.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can guarentee everyone that is not my brakes at all. the bushings i checked and there fine i replaced them a while ago. i think its something more suspensio related lookes like im gunna be playin in the garage for a while. thanks

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to be sure--you understand I'm NOT referring to front control arm bushings. I'm talking about small O-ring-style "bushings" that are part of the floating caliper system....?

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If it's a rattling that sounds like it's coming from the rear, maybe the trunk, I had the same problem for years, drove me nuts. One day, I was crawling around in the trunk (it's amazing how big that thing is) and noticed the torsion bars (I think that's the name, the bars that span the trunk above the spare and help close it) they vibrate against each other whenever they're jostled. Not sure if this was the problem, I wedged a towel in between them so they couldn't shake, rattling gone! Now I need to come up with better solution, but out of sight out of mind. Anyways, check that out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts