Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just changed plugs. drivers side all sooty black no big build-up of anything. Pass. side all reddish brown no build-up of anything. All 8 were dry. This is my 1st plug change. It had Bosch plat's in it. I put AC Delcos. I don't know why one side would be different. Pass side is normal IIRC. So what's up with the drivers side?

PITA job. All from the top, taking my time as I can't stay bent over the fenders like I used too...LOL. 3 hrs. Jacking up the car & taking the wheel off ??? I don't think so. You do have to work more by touch than anything else. Also donate a little blood to the grease Gods, but that's nothing new ..lol.

Any ideas on the plug difference from side to side guy's.?

· Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Didn't think of the PCV as I thought that would effect both sides , But I did notice that there is a hose off of the evap canister purge solinoid that comes off the bottom, does a 90 degree turn and heads towards the firewall...it just broken off about an inch from the solinoid but there is nothing there for it to go to....?

All intake bolts are tight.

· Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, This thread from a few years ago explains the vac line that goes nowhere. That's the way it's suppose to be...

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?p=2308633

The rear exhaust bolt is broken off, has been since I got the car 7 years ago, no indication that it has been leaking, no black carbon tracks, no ticking hot or cold. Car has been running fine until the other day when I noticed a severe loss of power at low speed take-off, Thats when it looked like some smoke out the back , but it was dark and I was just looking in the rear view at the lights from a car 50-75 yards behind me. Since the plugs were Bosch I'm wondering if the prev. owner also put Bosch O2's in it and that one just quit. I'm still trying to figure out why I can't read codes, so I'm out of luck with a code to point me at. I have 2 new AC Delco O2's that I should probably throw in anyway since the car is down until I get emissions done and the drivers side looks like it should be quick from under the car.

· Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Scanner keeps getting 'link error'. I have used this scanner for years with no issues so I know it's OBD II. There must be a problem with the data feed port as the scanner will power up when I plug it in. I can get to the bolt as it broke off at the head. I will get on it as soon as it cool's off.

· Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't get it. Just plugged the scanner in for the hell of it....it linked up, gave me "O2 Oxygen Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank1, Sensor2)" P0138, let me erase the codes, then scanned again & came back with No codes pass. I wonder if I don't have a bad/loose pin on the ALDL. ?

· Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Would the after cat O2 going bad cause the rich condition on that side? I thought they didn't do anything as far as engine function. I'm still trying to get the rear manifold bolt out, my little visegrips don't want to hold,,,damn it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.