Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been discussed to death, but does anyone still make exhaust systems for the 91 B Body? I'm not interested in swapping frame crossmembers to use a 94-96 dual, just looking to improve what I have on a car that will never be a show piece, but is too good to scrap.

I'm about to rotate the 94 back into service for my girlfriend to drive, bvecause I don't think the 91 will pass the new emissions Travis County foisted on us, in their infinite wisdom. :rolleyes: Lord, how I hope the 94 will pass. It'll be a long 24 years, otherwise...

Once the 91 goes semi-retired, I can start tweaking a bit. Get a new exhaust, new cylinder heads, upgrade the TBI, with a new chip and the proper knock sensor and ESC module and a cold air intake.

So, starting with the exhaust, am I better off looking for the 92 police Y-pipe and getting a custom (3"? 2.5"?) job done with the LT1 exhaust manifolds that came from the 94 and a better than stock cat, or is there still a package being manufactured that will do even better?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I don't know $*** about your question, but I feel your pain on the inspection / emissions - Williamson county got it, too.

FYI - If you go custom, I had American Muffler in Bertram (East of Liberty Hill on TX29 north of Austni) put duals on the wagon in my sig for about $180. I am very happy with his work.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip!

Originally posted by jb2wheels:
FYI - If you go custom, I had American Muffler in Bertram (East of Liberty Hill on TX29 north of Austni) put duals on the wagon in my sig for about $180. I am very happy with his work.
Is that cat back or an entire system less headers and cats? I may have to touch base with that shop and see what they recommend for what I'm trying to do. If it works well, I could see getting an H pipe added to the dual on the Stingray...

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd do like you said 9C1 y-pipe 3" in-out cat and 3" all the way back with the muffler of your choice.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by TierAngst:
I'd do like you said 9C1 y-pipe 3" in-out cat and 3" all the way back with the muffler of your choice.
Does anyone still make the 9C1 pipe? I seem to recall one manufacturer making it, aside from GM...

Also, will the 9C1 pipe mate up to the LT1 manifold? What I've heard is that the LT1 manifold is better than TBI stock, and they're free when they're sitting loose in my garage, since the 94 has a SLP system...

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I doubt they will be a direct fit to the LT1 manifolds but an exhaust shop could make it work. As for the y-pipe your local auto store should carry them, I know advance autoparts has them from walker and maremont. Just make sure it has the 3" outlet. You may have the best luck looking it up under a 93 caprice.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If custom. I'd advise LT1 manifolds, 3" 9c1 y-pipe, mufflers of your choice(sound preference) and possibly 3" pipe straight back, and definitely catalytic converters.(stock LT1 replacement cat's from Summit made by catco)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, so:

LT1 manifolds - free, sitting in garage.

9C1 Y-pipe - $68.48 from Advance

Cat - CatCo CT0-9118 - $127.99 from Summit

Muffler - undecided, but I'm looking for something subtle that frees up some energy

Custom 3" exhaust - hopefully not too bad

It's a start. If the 94 passes emissions, I can do the exhaust on the 91 first.

Then, probably the TBI and injectors. I'd like some World cylinder heads, but that'll take some overtime to buy those...

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Jaybo:

Then, probably the TBI and injectors. I'd like some World cylinder heads, but that'll take some overtime to buy those...
The stock heads aren't the problem, the stock cam is. You'd get much better yield getting a larger cam and still save a lot of money vs heads.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Jaybo:

The stock heads aren't the problem, the stock cam is. You'd get much better yield getting a larger cam and still save a lot of money vs heads. </font>[/QUOTE]Yeah, I'm keeping an eye out for the LT1 cam. I have one, but I'm still using it in the 94, and don't have the $$$ to upgrade that one right now...

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you're going to bother putting in a cam I'd go bigger than a stock LT1. You're going to need tuning either way with a cam swap so might as well make it worth while.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you're going to bother putting in a cam I'd go bigger than a stock LT1. You're going to need tuning either way with a cam swap so might as well make it worth while.
The goal for this car is to free up some power, but keep it reliable transportation. That being said, what cam would you recommend?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine was essentially a cat back - from the manifolds back, over the axles on a non-cat car. No "H" due to my trany config. Not mandrel bent. Exactly what I expected at a great price.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you've got a sawzall and a welder, you can make your own mandrel bent pipe... I did this on a test stand engine when I worked at an engine control grad lab in college...

Jegs and/or Summit sell (or used to sell) mandrel bent "U" sections, and you just go down to your local exhaust place and buy some 10' sections of aluminumized straight exhaust pipe ($20 each or so) and cut up the bends into whatever you need and weld it all together... It's something that can be done and painted (high-temp "header" paint holds up pretty well on exhaust farther back) in a good, solid weekend and you're back up and running on Monday...

Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts