Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a switch to disable the rear air shocks on my '96 Roadmaster sedan? My Grandpa had a Crown Vic with rear air bags(no springs) and there was a switch in the trunk. Or is it a fuse or relay under the hood?
I am going to install the Bell tech springs p.n. 5830 and want to know what shocks others are using with a drop.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Fleetwoods have a large stab fuse in the box near the pass side hinge. Pretty clearly labeled.

If your system still operates properly then I take it you're aware you can hook it up (with a little straightforward modding) to some Airlift 1000's inside the coils.

Without benefit of those particular spring specs, I've read most quality shocks work with up to 2" drop from stock.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
If you are to put drop springs all the way around, get Bilsteins.

You can make a new rod for the sensor above the rear axle, and make it think the car is at the proper height with the drop. Just measure the height from the top of the wheel opening before and after the new springs, and adjust the length of the rod.

If the springs are substantially shorter than the stock springs, you should weld a 4 inch piece of tail pipe to the upper spring perch to keep the springs aligned when you jack the car. Putting a stop on the axle is not an option on wagons and RMs because you need the full extension to get the tire out from under the fender.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the good info. We'll have to see how far I get with this car now as my son is going to buy it from me. I am looking at a '13 Caprice PPV.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts