Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I received a pair of rear axle preformed brake lines from Right Stuff Designs (Jegs) and discovered the fitting on the right side that goes into the rubber brake line fitting has an INCORRECT inverted flare that also has a fitting that is too short which causes the fitting to bottom out on the inside hex face before it could possible seal at the flare. It’s supposed to be a ball flare. So the flare is wrong with a wrong fitting. I arranged for a return and called another company (in-line tube) that makes a Stainless steel pair for a higher price and asked them about their fittings. The guy said theirs are different on both sides as well from looking at their build sheet. Does anybody know why these companies are doing this? Does anybody sell the complete correct lines sets? Pics of My original lines and both sides of new lines and mounted new lines. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
I ran into a situation similar to yours. I ordered Inline tube SS lines for the rear. I received them in a short time and they were too short. I contacted them and they sent a return number and they said to return them along with my lines I removed from my car. I did that and they matched them up just fine and no more shipping cost to me. I give them (y)(y)(y)(y)(y) Just a happy customer.

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I ran into a situation similar to yours. I ordered Inline tube SS lines for the rear. I received them in a short time and they were too short. I contacted them and they sent a return number and they said to return them along with my lines I removed from my car. I did that and they matched them up just fine and no more shipping cost to me. I give them (y)(y)(y)(y)(y) Just a happy customer.

Mark: Snowman-33
Wow. Glad you got the good service. It’s seems a pain for me. I know it’s so simple to correct but I don’t want to reflare something I just simply want to purchase. Just to state my story here, the Right Stuff company (different from Inline company) gave me a ticket number and told me to email the pictures and they would get back to me. That was 2 days ago. I have not heard anything by phone or email. Maybe that’s because I already requested a prepaid return label. I’m sending them back. If you look close at my new Right Stuff Jegs lines photos, the tube seems to be a tad longer which possibly could put the correct fitting where it’s supposed to be. I don’t think the tool will get around it though without backing the fitting up enough at the bend to make the new ball end. .........anyway as I said, In-line told me theirs are both different. I didn’t want to push the issue with it because all I can say from my end is it’s wrong unless I’m missing something because I THINK 94-96 SS are all the same rears. I feel like it’s a patent issue and they are expecting people to reflare or adapt.. I just got off the phone with a 3rd vendor in Huntington Beach California (Classic Industries). They have a stainless set that is “arriving soon” For a decent price (he said late March early April). He politely argued to me some of the Impala SS’s had different rear ends asking me if mine is ”a performance package” I told him it had the 3.08 Auburn LSD and he said yeah some were different. I didn’t want to talk about it too much about police cars, caprices, taxi’. He said he’s not a mechanic and only a parts guy but seemed to want to prove to me that “some were different on the SS‘ ” I didn’t want to keep pushing on him. The picture on their site shows the same fitting like I want but they have yet to arrive so I am yet to check. On the advertised picture part it’s correct. He said he rarely goes by the pictures. I understand that but when they made the remake, why wouldn’t they snap a picture of the remake? Because it sure isn’t a GM photo. Is it possible it’s for a wagon or Roadmaster where some type of sensor T’s in there? Don’t mean to ramble here but more so to clarify the issue here and for others to maybe read what’s going on with this brakeline deal. My old lines seem good still, I just thought I’d replace the line while it’s an easy update while it’s out of the car. I ran a small piece of insulated phone line looking wire in my old line, but I could only get it half way through because it’s aluminum wire and not stiff enough. When I pulled out the wire there was no crud and looked pretty clean. There is no corrosion on the outside of my old lines as my car is a California vehicle. Again. Wow. They made it right for you. I wonder if they can do it for me...I’d hate to put an adapter between there. It would probably change the whole fittment along the axle tube. Here is a picture of Classic Industries brake line set ad and quoted description. Hoping somebody (in-line maybe will make me a pair with the right fitting and flare) Thanks

BRA9501S - 1994-96 Impala SS & Caprice With Rear Disc StainleSS Steel Rear Axle Brake Lines
These reproduction rear axle brake lines are made from Stainless Steel which offers a longer life span and custom look!
All Lines have the correct color coded fittings, have been pre-fitted for easy installation and is machine double flare d for a safe, no leak fit.
Reproduced with the discriminating restorer in mind.
716839B6-1DCE-4DA6-A8BA-CFDB2C345E10.jpeg

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I think I’ve figured out why I’m having this problem. After looking closely at my old lines, somebody at Rightstuff company (my assumption) double fitting and double flared the right side line. In other words someone put a fitting that is supposed to go at the top where it T’s off on the brake line caliper end as well with a inverted flare like the top. Somebody ran a double operation on the right tube. I called In-line tube back and found he was telling me they are different fittings on EACH line (his build sheet reference) when I was trying to ask him if the fittings on his lines differed on each corresponding side of EACH line-I guess he didn’t get that part. Haha at least I got this guy at in-line to tell me each end fitting was the same fitting on each end of the opposite line and same fitting (different type at the T manifold ends). After all this, I’ve ordered Inlines stainless steel set. Fingers crossed I get the correct set with the correct fittings. And legnths

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ordered the “stainless” brake lines from Inline tube. Second attempt from second company. They sent me what seems to be regular steel. The tube and fittings are aggressively magnetic. Had a chat with an online employee of theirs. He said the stainless ones are supposed to be shiney and their regular ones are grey. Mine seem to be grey. He told me to email the photos yesterday. I’m waiting for a reply. Can’t seem to receive the correct set yet. Photos are of my second attempt lines. ?

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts