1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1994 Caprice LT1 Wagon

Threw on some rear drop springs...
Belltech 2.75 drop.

Now my springs fall out if I Jack it up, or hit a crazy bump...

Fabbed some 10" rear axle limit straps from rear seat belts from a Chrysler 300..

Had my lovely wife sew them on her badass sewing machine...

Drilled some holes in the axle perches, and mounted them up.

Also running belltech nitro 2 drop shocks, energy suspension bushings, and extended my rear LCA and UCA 1/2"...

Check it out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
Well now. That is a new and interesting one to me. The idea of using zip ties, while fast & easy, never appealed to me. I may have to put one of my Consews to work again. We need more pics of your car. That is if you're done painting. It sort of has a PoPo look to it.

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I just bolted the springs to the lower perch, but those look pretty good. I know a lot of off-road shops sell those if you don't have spare seatbelts handy.

-Brian

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi

Oldhead here......Are you sure the shock don't control limit ????

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm running belltech nitro 2 drop shocks and belltech 2.75 drop springs.

The springs fall out when jacked up.

This prevents it with just enough room to get the 20" wheel off and out of the wheelwell.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts

This prevents it with just enough room to get the 20" wheel off and out of the wheelwell.
Would you know or can measure if you get a chance, what the free length of spring is? Oh, and what the extended length of those shocks is, Thanks

·
Registered
11,040 Posts
I have been told that there are drop springs that will not fall out. I have the ones that will fall out, so I welded a couple of pieces of exhaust pipe (about 3 inches) to the top perches, and zip tied the spring to the lower ones. They do not fall out, and I have enough room to get Impala rims with 255s on them out with full extension.

I have drop shocks, "adjusted" drop springs, and drop spindles on the front, and I can jack the whole side of the car from the rear jacking point to facilitate changing both tires on one side.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Would you know or can measure if you get a chance, what the free length of spring is? Oh, and what the extended length of those shocks is, Thanks
The part numbers are 8512 for the rear shocks and 8000 for the front.

The belltech website probably has the info you want... or just call and ask. They were quite knowledgeable when I called.

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts
Moog CC501 fit perfectly in the rear and do not fall out when you jack up the car. Lowers the wagon perfectly. 50 bucks well spent.
Yup,, been in my car since 2002ish.
I dont like a car quite that low so i also have 1 inch spacers on top so mine are even more preloaded,at full droop

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
Run a generous bead of construction adhesive around the lower perch then reinstall springs,lower to ground and allow to set up...

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts
Interesting solutions,

Weld tubing to upper spring mount, guess you never are going air bags inside your springs?

Construction adhesive on lower mount,doesnt the angle at full droop try to kick the upper out of place?

Soft retainer straps, good plan for a non violent limiter.

I have on other rear coil cars for people, made upper and lower retainer plates that bolt through the ends.
This also gives a soft "top out" as the spring is resisting extension.

64 to about 67 A bodys used to bolt the lower down and had a full , non pigtail , upper.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/1964-1966-GM-A-Body-Rear-Coil-Spring-Retainers-Kit,115422.html?sku=91064661&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj7ruxtPY4wIVD8NkCh0opQ_5EAQYAiABEgL3VvD_BwE

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I've got those A-body style retainers on mine right now. I did fabricate my own spring perches though. That's a different thread on here somewhere.

-Brian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts