Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Rear bolts on stock exhaust manofold

965 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  CRSSDCM 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, what is the deal with the rear port on the exhaust manifold? There is only a stud on the front of the port and no bolt in the rear. Would it be ok to replace that stud with a bolt to get a good seal in the rear of the manifold?

#4 ·
If it is not leaking or making noise don't worry about it.
Yeah, but it will be leaking and making noise soon I bet.

JVL96,

Common problem with our cars, GM used Grade 5 fasteners and they get brittle in time due to constant heat cycles, usually the rear most bolts break first on the driver and paSSenger side. The extraction proceSS for the broken bolt(s) can range from "not so bad" to "living hell."

Do some reading on this subject, a wealth of info out there just waiting for you man.

Trust me.......you will need to fix this broken bolt iSSue in the not to distant future.

You have some choices to make (headers, Grade 5 replacement, Grade 8 replacements, etc).

Good Luck.

#3 ·
Thanks the reason I thought there was no bolt in the rear is because I saw a caprice that didnt have the same bolt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.