Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the rear brakes in my caprice are shot. I dont have money to replace them. Would it be ok to remove the shoes and drive it around like that? front brakes are fairly new and work great.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No. Wouldent work. The brake pedal would drop ALOT w/o rear shoes on the drums Much like when rear drums are not adjusted right.... let alone Its dumb trusting all stopping power on the front brakes, which are already small for a 4300 pound car

Dont drive the car at all if the brakes dont work well. But its your car.. Do whatever you want.

If you cant stop intime and you will someone, they might inspect your car and find no rear shoes on the drums. That will look real good.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Edit:

If you cant stop intime and you kill someone, they might inspect your car and find no rear shoes on the drums. That will look real good.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can't just take the shoes out, the wheel cylinder pistons will pop out and you will be in deep doo-doo. ....you don't have $15 for even a cheap set of shoes...???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well either deal with the sqeaking for about 1 more week until u get enough money saved to buy some good shoes or buy a cheapo pair for now and then get the better ones down the road...which u probably wont do lol. plus cheap shoes might sqeak anyways just because there crap quality.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took all the hardware and shoes out. When i pulled off the drums alot of pieces fell out. The pedal does not go to the floor and the car stops just fine. I drove over 100 miles to and from Boston today on the highway with traffic and didn't hit anyone or even come close. My car also lost alot of different noises it was having. the car rides nice and quiet no more ticking or grinding or anything. I am selling the car very soon which is why I chose not to buy new parts and any potential buyers will be aware of the lack of rear brakes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll leave the name calling to the experts here.

Park the God Damn car!!!

If you can' maintain it to even the most minimal level, don't drive it.

Gerry Charlesworth

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow,... well look on the bright side,.. he has front brakes,..could be just the back ones,.
unf...ing believable,..
nick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I suggest, along with Gerry's "direction", that our friend RYS take a look at how much brake fluid remains in the forward section of the master cylinder reservoir. There should be no mystery as to why the car can still stop, but this truly is insanity.

I've pondering whether to contact the local authorities in Pawtucket to be on the lookout for a wreck involving a 92 Chevy Caprice with funny wire wheel covers and a For Sale sign in the window, but that would be asking them to believe anyone would be that stupid (sorry RYS, the M.O. fits)--maybe they'll get lucky and find the car BEFORE something bad happens...I just hope no one gets hurt in the time being!

If anyone knows this guy, do us all a favor. Take his keys away!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Say what you want I drove the car over 100 miles each day 50 miles each way to and from work for the past three days in Boston big dig traffic. I am selling the car I am not spending anymore money on it. If I didn't feel safe I wouldn't drive it the car stops when I want it to that's all that matters to me. Before I started driving it I went around and slammed the brakes several times to make sure I wasn't gonna kill anyone. I don't know about you people but I can't afford to miss work just because half my brakes aren't working the car still stops and goes thats fine by me. There are people out there driving around with their front ends about to fall out.

[ 08-02-2006, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: RYS ]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was but now I really don't have a choice. I wasn't driving my Caprice because when driving not even touching the brakes they were making loud scraping and banging noises. My girlfriend has been complaining since I started my new job that I always have the Acura all day and she sits in the house and I runined her summer. This was beginning to make us fight daily. So now I refuse to take the car to work forcing me to use the Caprice. I have a loan set up I am looking for a new car right now.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I just discovered this old thread and it seemed worth reviving for head-shaking value. Ay, caramba. Hope RYS now has a happier home life--and better brakes...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.