Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Silly question but asking because I need to make a decision here. I have some Por 15 and was wanting to paint my braking plates before I assemble my rear axle assembly. The Por 15 is super thick and vendors seem to not want to ship thinners to my area Due to restrictions. And, I don’t want the paint gumming up and causing Mechanical sliding issues if for some reason the paint don’t cure good. Or just make them a mess Incase I have some brushing problems with drying If you will. I imagine brake plates like most other new auto part manufacturing processes anti corrosion “plate” This type thing. 1. These things are plated correct? And is anybody finding rust on these things that doesn’t come off and clean up-like did factory do a good job plating these things? I’m in California. I’m kind of wanting to skip painting these things. Any question is a good question?😊 Thanks again.
466BB0C5-7312-4CC9-A2FB-D1D15449E989.jpeg

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just for fun. Whoever installed the drilled rotors on my car lost a washer or somebody did. I’m still trying to find one. Haven’t looked through all my junk yet. the lock washer in the picture is not part of my car. I’m too picky to put that back on. one of the little time hang ups I have here Besides buying my red and blue loctite.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I'd look at getting it plated - Electroless nickel is a good option as it gets in all the cracks/crevices, etc. Shouldn't be too expensive, probably less than the POR-15, will last practically forever in California and if you have them put it on "thick" it's about 0.0015" so won't interfere with any moving components and is a bit "slippery" too.

Search for platers in your area - they can usually throw it in a batch they're doing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The part is 25 years old and looks like new. I wouldn’t worry to much about the preserving of the metal. Thin spray paint would seem good if you wanted it a particular color. Just my two cents. Dezrat

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m probably going to leave them. I can’t guarantee it but they can’t look so good if they weren’t plated or whatever process they use. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
These plates were plated in production. What is in the picture does look very good after 25 years....if you want to "preserve" them, just use a flat clear coating. POR (paint over rust) products reguire rust (iron oxide) to react with to bond as designed, so I would not recommend that option, from the condition of the part in the photo.

Over the years I have refurbished dozens of these backing plates using sand or bead blasting and re-plating them - they are no longer available new, but thankfully, as cast parts, there is very little true "wear" except in the most extreme of conditions.

My biggest issue today is having a significant imbalance in left vs right plates....I even have NEW left-side plates, but without an equal number of right-side plates, there's no way to make a functional disc brake rear axle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts