Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im new to owning a wagon so some items are new to me since owning a impala for years but i was wondering on the rear tail gate. my rear cargo lights by the back glass,they come on ONLY when the rear door is opened as a door not as a tailgate.is this normal? also door ajar comes on then but not as a tailgate.

·
Registered
97 Posts
That is normal for the tailgate. At least mine acts the same way that yours does. With the tailgate flipped down, you can turn on the cargo lights with the buttons that are at the lower end of the grab handles.

I dont have a door agar light on the dash. Maybe its burnt out.

·
Registered
248 Posts
That is normal for the tailgate. At least mine acts the same way that yours does. With the tailgate flipped down, you can turn on the cargo lights with the buttons that are at the lower end of the grab handles.

I dont have a door agar light on the dash. Maybe its burnt out.
+2
Mine works same way. tailgate down - no lights, tailgate swung to the side - lights on.
I recently worked on my cluster for other issues and noticed the bulb for "door ajar" was missing. I put in a bulb, and it works now.
I have to slam the tailgate really hard to make the lights go out. I have been meaning to disable the the light switch in the tailgate to the grab handle lights. The manual button would still work.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes mine is the same and I don't have a door ajar light either. Maybe in 95 they spent the extra 12 cents. I used to slam my tailgate hard until I noticed the cracks in the sheet metal of the tailgate where the bottom latch/hinge mounts. Watch out for this, it's a weak spot. I'm going to have to weld a patch on there someday soon.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats a odd way to set up a light system.even when you open the rear glass you would think they should come on.but hey at least my door ajar light works..yea haw! for 173,000 miles everything still works perfect. knock on wood

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Never knew it worked like that.

Mine only worked when you pressed the button. I have a 92 capi.

Does it work like that on a 92.

Plus my gate ajar light is dead too :( Or never worked IDK

·
Registered
120 Posts
Never knew it worked like that.

Mine only worked when you pressed the button. I have a 92 capi.

Does it work like that on a 92.

Plus my gate ajar light is dead too :( Or never worked IDK
All '91 to '96 wagons work the same way, so your switch is probably messed up if it won't come on when you open the gate as a door.

·
Registered
120 Posts

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
It is located at the lower passenger side beside the lock solenoid. On the 91-93s it also lights the rear seat reading lights.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Bit more help...

Fred, (and others!)
Can you help me to pinpoint the switch that you're talking of, and how to get to it?
I had finally slammed the tailgate to shut off the annoying "door ajar" light, and the corresponding arm lights by the back door. Just last week, I opened the tailgate as a door, and here we go again. Slamming it is a half a$$ed answer; I really want to consider doing this correctly. In theory, if I can adjust the switch placement, or build up the point of contact, I should be able to make this circuit work, and use the tailgate as a door once and for all...
I do remember reading a pretty thorough overview of this before the crash, and I have searched without luck since.
Thanks!
Simon

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine has a bit of a hard time latching/ swinging out. Tips for those of us without a FSM?
mine does the opposite.when i open the door,it takes about 30 sec to a min for the lights to come on.they go off fine when i shut it.

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
Mine has a bit of a hard time latching/ swinging out. Tips for those of us without a FSM?
Check ebay for FSMs they are pretty cheap.

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
Mine latches perfectly both ways; that's not my issue.
Well, off to read the FSM!
Simon
Just because it latches, does not mean that it is aligned correctly. It only has to be off a little to not work correctly. You have to remove the inspection panel on the passenger side of the tailgate. It has a small lever on it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.