Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Registered
483 Posts
Sidebar...

Anyone find a brighter bulb for back there? LED? Mine just make everything glow a bit, just enough to piss me off at GM.
The one I switched to is GE # 921. It is about 6 times brighter than the # 194. I have had them installed for a few years and the sockets and wiring survive the higher current, but be careful if you leave the lights on for too long or the plastic dome will melt from the additional heat. But they are even brighter without the domes. It is a huge improvement for cargo area lighting with two # 921 bulbs instead of two # 194.

Canadian Tire has the # 921 bulbs in the auto bulbs section for about 2$ each. A very reasonable mod.

· Registered
144 Posts
Yes mine is the same and I don't have a door ajar light either. Maybe in 95 they spent the extra 12 cents. I used to slam my tailgate hard until I noticed the cracks in the sheet metal of the tailgate where the bottom latch/hinge mounts. Watch out for this, it's a weak spot. I'm going to have to weld a patch on there someday soon.
My 94 didn't have the lights installed but there's a place for them on the cluster! My switch acts up on mine sometimes and it's a real pain in the butt because the lights won't shut off when it does that! I usually just open it as a tailgate to avoid issues until I figure something better out!

There should be a away to wire it so the lights come on when the window opens since there's a switch there already to prevent the wiper from working with it open

· Registered
144 Posts
Just because it latches, does not mean that it is aligned correctly. It only has to be off a little to not work correctly. You have to remove the inspection panel on the passenger side of the tailgate. It has a small lever on it.
Unless your switch is different than mine that looks more like the switch that prevents the window from opening when the lock is down. The one for the lights and warning lamp is a larger version like in the door jamb with a plunger. It's in the very bottom of the tailgate. It's hard to see down that far in the door where it is located. I just reached in and repositioned mine and it worked great, I'm sure it'll move again as the bracket attaches to the door with 1 screw from the outside right next to the bottom hinge! I was just in mine last night so it's all fresh on my mind!

· Registered
246 Posts
The one I switched to is GE # 921. It is about 6 times brighter than the # 194. I have had them installed for a few years and the sockets and wiring survive the higher current, but be careful if you leave the lights on for too long or the plastic dome will melt from the additional heat. But they are even brighter without the domes. It is a huge improvement for cargo area lighting with two # 921 bulbs instead of two # 194.

Canadian Tire has the # 921 bulbs in the auto bulbs section for about 2$ each. A very reasonable mod.

I appreciate the tip! Can't wait to hit Crappy Tire now and spend some Canadian Tire funny money.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.