Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Home Depot the other day to pick up some tiles. Had 7 boxes of tiles in the back and a few other things and the car turned into a low rider. It even scraped a couple of times on the way home. I've never had the car loaded before, so I hadn't noticed how weak the rear springs are. It's for my 95 Caprice Wagon, which does not have the rear air shocks. I'm looking for a nice strong set of springs that won't raise up the car too much, but won't drop the car when loaded up. Anyone have a good spring recomendation for me? What's prefered, variable rate or regular.

·
Registered
502 Posts
1000% on the Airlift bags. They take all of 30 minutes to install with almost no tools, and you can pump them up to match whatever load you're carrying. You'll wonder how you lived without them. Keep a bike pump or a little 12v compressor on hand and you can carry almost anything.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I also recommend the air lift bags. Not difficult to install and they work really well. Mine are connected to my factory auto level system that originally operated the air shocks. It works really nice but even if operated manually they would be great, that is what I'd do.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The bags do work nice.... I have installed cargo coils... and spring assisted shocks... and then put in the air bags on my 95 RMW. I use this vehicle to tow my racecar and trailer... probably around 6000 lbs fully loaded. Works nicely.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Put in a pair of airlift bags. Easy and relatively inexpensive. Add air when you need to haul, drop air for normal driving.
Yep

1000% on the Airlift bags. They take all of 30 minutes to install with almost no tools, and you can pump them up to match whatever load you're carrying. You'll wonder how you lived without them. Keep a bike pump or a little 12v compressor on hand and you can carry almost anything.
Yep

I also recommend the air lift bags. Not difficult to install and they work really well. Mine are connected to my factory auto level system that originally operated the air shocks. It works really nice but even if operated manually they would be great, that is what I'd do.
Yep

The bags do work nice.... I have installed cargo coils... and spring assisted shocks... and then put in the air bags on my 95 RMW. I use this vehicle to tow my racecar and trailer... probably around 6000 lbs fully loaded. Works nicely.
AND YEP!!!

I put the airbags on my car is it hauls ANYTHING it throw at it. I also installed the Airlift compressor with the switch and gauges in the rear drivers side cubby hole......

Works like a charm................

·
Registered
95 Posts
Very creative...... I just put two schrader(sp) valves on each side under bumper..... I like your idea better.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I put my air valves under the fuel filler door.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Sorry, too lazy to take a picture. Imagine instead:

Open the fuel filler door, and inside you see a gas cap and a black plastic panel to keep dust and dirt out. To the LEFT of the gas cap (towards the front of the car) I drilled two holes into the black plastic panel to take the schraeder valves. One above the other. Dead simple. Just make sure you don't put it in too far forward that it's difficult to put the air chuck onto it.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Sorry, too lazy to take a picture. Imagine instead:

Open the fuel filler door, and inside you see a gas cap and a black plastic panel to keep dust and dirt out. To the LEFT of the gas cap (towards the front of the car) I drilled two holes into the black plastic panel to take the schraeder valves. One above the other. Dead simple. Just make sure you don't put it in too far forward that it's difficult to put the air chuck onto it.
I put mine in the same place about 10 years ago.
I like the option of filling the right and left individually so I ran 2 lines and no T.
Here is a picture. Gee I should have cleaned it out in there.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts