Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What B-bodies used the same width 8.5" housing as the 9C1/Impala SS disc brake equipped cars? I am wondering because I am scouring for a second rear end that I can rebuild to stick into my Caprice without loosing the use of the car. The RoadMaster's have a narrower rear diff than my 96 Caprice does I gather, correct? If I find an LT1 Civilian Caprice with drums is the differential housing the same width?

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
if i remember correctly when i did my homework for my rear swap, all the housings are the same but its the axles that differ in length...

i swapped out a 7.5 drum rear for and 8.5 disc rear w/ the longer axles from a 96 Impala ss.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Okay..... If this is correct let me know guys.

The Impala SS and the B4U drum brake Caprice both used the so called "wide housing" whereas my 9C1, and the Buick Roadmaster used the narrow housing.

So let's simplify. Is the housing from a 1995 Roadmaster a direct bolt in for my 9C1? I will of course swap the discs from my Caprice as supposedly they fit and are just a bolt on affair?

Also, where do the Station wagons fit into this picture? The only reason I ask is the U pull it yard has 2 Roadmasters and a Caprice wagon I could grab a diff from. Thanks.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've a question along the same line. Does a 92 Roadmaster have an 8.5 or 7.5 rear? A 96 Roadie 8.5 rear will bolt in directly I think?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Okay..... If this is correct let me know guys.

The Impala SS and the B4U drum brake Caprice both used the so called "wide housing" whereas my 9C1, and the Buick Roadmaster used the narrow housing.

So let's simplify. Is the housing from a 1995 Roadmaster a direct bolt in for my 9C1? I will of course swap the discs from my Caprice as supposedly they fit and are just a bolt on affair?

Also, where do the Station wagons fit into this picture? The only reason I ask is the U pull it yard has 2 Roadmasters and a Caprice wagon I could grab a diff from. Thanks.
Wagons- no

Yes you have a narrow housing as does the roadie

yes you can swap everything. Only issues you may run into is a broke cross pin bolt and most like your speedo being off. Other than that couple hour job.

You can also use the wide housing w axles as long as your tires are right now not too close to your wheelwheels the difference is like 3/4 inch

1 - 5 of 5 Posts