Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Impala SS rear end that I'm planning to swap onto my 78 Cadillac DeVille. Prior to doing so I am gonna rebuild it and install a new Yukon dura grip posi carrier. My question comes from what I discovered while taking the rear apart, upon removing the carrier I noticed a couple spots inside the housing (or pumpkin?) that made me curious, on the housing right where the carrier shims sit it appears that there is a couple broken spots perhaps, or is this just the design of the housing and normal? Here's a couple pics to help u get a better idea of what im talking about. Any help with this is greatly appreciated as I'd like to know if I can move forward with the rebuild, have to make a repair to the housing, or have to search for a completely separate rear end for my project. Thanks
Rim Gas Nickel Machine Engineering

Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Crankset Vehicle brake

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been hoping that is the case, but I've found nothing concrete to assure me either way. I feel like that lip that the carrier shims sits against should be a full circle, it looks to me like a chunk was broken out of it but like u said, perhaps it's an oil passage? To the axle tubes? I dunno... Thx for the reply!

· Registered
8,013 Posts
Bearings are pressed onto carrier? How ould you get it out of the housing without those gaps?

· Premium Member
5,319 Posts
Those notches have nothing to do with re&re
Period , certainly , positively
We are refering to the two areas in the upper half of the side bearing saddles.
NOT the reliefs in the pinion bearing outer race areas which are there for access with a drift to remove the outer pinion races

· Registered
11,638 Posts
I didn't see anything like that when I rebuilt the rear in my 91 OCC.

· Registered
3,515 Posts
Just checked the empty housing sitting in my garage and it has the same spot on the passenger side. Driver side has a smaller notch. They both look like they have been there since 1993.

· Premium Member
5,319 Posts
Stick a wire into it and see where it comes out.
Sherlock , the discussion is the cast relief that leaves a void across the machined surface marked here in red .
Are you talking about the passage in blue ?
That is the diff vent
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Tire Automotive design

1 - 12 of 12 Posts