Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1996 Caprice 9c1, 2018 Ram Laramie CC 4x4 EcoDiesel , '03 Ram 3500 Laramie Sport QC 4x4 Cummins
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new '96 came with drum brakes and I would like to convert to the rear disc brakes. I have the calipers and rotors, I need information on what else is needed. Are there any available threads that show this conversion?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1996 Caprice 9c1, 2018 Ram Laramie CC 4x4 EcoDiesel , '03 Ram 3500 Laramie Sport QC 4x4 Cummins
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
With 28 views and no replies? Come on,somebody has to have this info:)

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Threads are unfortunatly all dead.

I would imagine you would need also, backing plates, parking brake cables, brake hardlines, and brake hoses.

The backing plates should include the disk parking brakes. Hardlines can be made. I did. However as far as the actual swap I just did the whole rear axle.

- Brian

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
My new '96 came with drum brakes and I would like to convert to the rear disc brakes. I have the calipers and rotors, I need information on what else is needed. Are there any available threads that show this conversion?
Thanks!

Didn't see your question here...if you had posted in Brakes.....I would have seen it sooner!

What you need--assuming you want full park brake function:

Pads & H-clips

New park brake cables

New axle hard lines

Disc brake backing plates with park brake parts

Caliper abutment brackets with slide pins, boots and bolts

Caliper hoses with brackets

Cable guide for RH park brake cable

Fasteners - for abutment brackets, caliper hose brackets and cable guide

Anything you may need....I have!

Re-post of information from before the "data crash"

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Looks like another topic rises from the ashes.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Didn't see your question here...if you had posted in Brakes.....I would have seen it sooner!

Pads & H-clips

New park brake cables

New axle hard lines

How about the master cylinder? Don't I need one for a car that has discs all the way around? Seems like I remember reading something about the valving being different. I'm going to try to find Impala or a 9c1 at the wrecking yard for used parts before I start making purchases online since shipping costs suck to Alaska. Thanks for the help.:D

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
How about the master cylinder? Don't I need one for a car that has discs all the way around? Seems like I remember reading something about the valving being different. I'm going to try to find Impala or a 9c1 at the wrecking yard for used parts before I start making purchases online since shipping costs suck to Alaska. Thanks for the help.:D
Funny thing...Chevrolet didn't put in a different master cylinder for the 4 wheel disc cars. They got the same as the disc/drum guys. There are options though. The popular one is the "stealth bolt" mod. they're about $28 shipped but I can't remember who sells them. Someone else will chime in i'm sure and you may be able to do a search on that. It may have been brought up since the crash.

Edit: Just did a search, Zack at Power Performance Motorsports sells them. He goes by So FaSSt on the forum.

Sean

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
CIA, FocuzTech, etc... The Stealthbolt is one of the easiest no brainer brake improvement mods out there.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
The parts can be shipped via USPS Flat Rate for very low cost, actually.

If you're in Alaska, what you'll find in the wrecking yard(s) probably has lots of corrosion and/or moisture exposure issues.

MC shouldn't be an issue, as others have mentioned. Modifying the proportioning valve is fairly common step to take.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You guys ROCK:D Thanks for all the info. Navy Lifer, I'll contact you for the parts when I get ready to tackle this upgrade.
Thanks again

·
Registered
6 Posts

Pads & H-clips

New park brake cables

New axle hard lines

I need parts for conversion of drum to disc. You say you have the parts needed. Can you still get the parts?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.