Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the LOST files, originally posted 10/01/2008 (dead ends, don't click unless you're curious!)

Current kit options:

C5/C6 rear disc upgrade for SS & 9C1, bolt-on
$765 (for 12" rotor)
$775 (for 13" rotor)
+ $35 for red C5 calipers - per pair
- $35 for pad delete
(plus rotors-order from KORE3)

93-96 Fleetwood rear disc conversion kit, bolt-on
$775
- $35 for pad delete
(plus rotors-local purchase)

91-96 B-body rear drum to disc conversion - base kit - sedan only (OE B-body rear disc components)
$675
- $35 for pad delete
(plus rotors-local purchase)

SEDAN REAR DISC BRAKE UPGRADE & CONVERSION OPTIONS USING OE PARTS - INFO link

FYI -Wagons only WRDC rear disc brake conversion kit for wagons, bolt-on

NOTE: Pricing for kits above does not include shipping unless paid in full when kit is shipped. Extended terms available--customer pays shipping.

· Premium Member
73 Posts
Are these kits still available? If so, I have a few questions:
1. The "2 new backing plates modified for this upgrade..." mentioned here. Does the kit include new backing plates as well as all of the hardware required for the parking brake to function properly? Is an exchange required and, if so, does the exchanged plates need to include all existing parking brake hardware? I ask this because my existing parking brake is missing the lever on one side and the parking brake shoe is worn completely out.
2. The Rotors.. available only from Kore or are these stock C5/C6 rotors?
3. I'm assuming you are providing the kit, do you have pics of the kit, especially the calipers?

I'm definitely interested in this kit, especially since I am going to have to buy the parking brake components anyway.

· Premium Member
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, kits are available.

The backing plates include all park brake components, everything is 100% new.

No exchange of your takeoff backing plates is required, but I do offer a $35 credit against the kit purchase if they are returned.

PM me with your e-mail and I'll send pictures.

KORE3 is the best source for properly prepared rotors (new wheel stud pattern, larger center bore and some backside clearance machining), but you can buy Corvette rotors and have them machined locally if that is your desire....KORE3 offers the best price for the the parts and machine work that is done right, unless you've got your own machine shop.

Yes, there is shipping cost, and some time to factor in, but I'll continue to recommend them.

· Registered
174 Posts
this kit still available for a 93 ?

· Premium Member
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes--if you are considering a C5/C6 rear upgrade from drum brakes, there are additional items that have to be added into the process. The first post in this thread gives a summary of each version.

Any way you want it! PM me for details.

· Registered
49 Posts
With the sedan kit, how is the proportioning controled or set between front and rear brakes? Front discs require more pad pressure and the rear requires more line pressure to get the same pad pressure because of the distance difference, correct?

· Premium Member
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Caliper piston diameter/area and rotor diameter are, for the most part, not the same between front & rear of any production system, and typically not the same in any disc/disc setup (there are exceptions)--the ideal setup being around 70% front and 30% rear split of total braking effort for a front-engine/rear-drive vehicle.

The combination/proportioning valve on all 94-96 B-body cars (including Cad Fleetwood), sedan or wagon, disc or drum rear, was the same GM part.

Similar situation for 91-93, all using the same unit--but not the same as 94-96 cars. The available mod kit is only for the later combi-valve

The "stealth bolt" mod--for proportioning & metering--is an improvement in proportioning for any 94-96 disc/disc package.

The range of tolerance in front/rear proportioning in these cars is pretty wide--meaning that for average use, it's hard to get into too much trouble, mainly from too much rear brake, even with the modified proportioning (functional ABS helps). The piston area, pad area, rotor diameter and friction coefficient of the available pads is not radically different for the various configurations available--stock or any of the aftermarket upgrade kits.

The C5/C6 brake upgrade focuses on the ability to put rotors with greater mass on the car--both front & rear OE rotors are not optimum for hard driving with heavy braking, and can get used up quickly in a 20-minute track event, for example. In street use, that translates to brakes that will last longer under all conditions, and which will not tend to fade after the 2nd or 3rd hard stop, as can happen with production brakes--the braking "envelope" is expanded considerably with the use of rotors that are larger or of greater mass.

Many may never track their car, but there are other reasons to consider going to an upgrade package--especially for those cars running 20" & larger wheels with huge changes in total rolling mass and inertia at each wheel position. The larger diameter rotors available do add to the total inertia equation, however, the larger clamping radius of the caliper generates greater brake torque, and the greater rotor mass does a much better job of dealing with the increased demand for energy conversion (heat absorption & dissipation) that is the result of the larger wheel/tire setup.

Long answer to a short question.....hope it helps!

· Premium Member
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
more eating my words! - OE 15" wheels with C5 rear brakes

Link to comments posted in another thread recently.

As I also just posted in the WRDC thread, I "think" it will work, but have not actually done it yet. If anyone is serious about keeping OE 15" wheels and wanting to do the sedan rear disc upgrade to C5/C6, just understand that it will be by use of production aluminum wheels--NOT steel--and a spacer and longer studs, at minimum, are required.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.