Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i rescently purchased the rear disc set up from bill harper(navy lifer)...for those thats done this already... did you put threadlocker on the nut and bolts that mount the backing plates...i plan on finishing it up tomorrow... let me know guys

mike

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If you got it use it. If you didn't i wouldn't take it apart again to do it...

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're just gonna go ahead and do the Stealth Bolt mod while it's down for bleeding anyway, right?

I would go ahead and do the Rear Bolt Shoulder Mod too while you're at it, but that's just me.

Unless you been in one that's already done, get ready for "What the hell was that?" (over and over and over....).

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am doing the stealth bolt mod as well...as for the metering mod... i think ill wait a couple weeks till i go to the junk yard to get a couple of those bolts(just in case i mess one up)...so i can modify it first...

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I remember from doing mine I think the factory bolts have threadlock on them (blue?). If yours don't it would be a good idea but like Eddie said I probably wouldn't take them apart if they were already torqued down. When I did mine I did the stealth bolt and metering rod mods all at once. This thread http://impalassforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=23;t=001099 has two very good pictures in a reply by Joe Palmer of the metering rod before and after the mod. Good luck.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
YES!!! The best practice is to use the correct GM bolts for this with the blue threadlock already there. There are documented cases of these bolts backing out and causing great havoc when not installed properly.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i ended up getting two bolts to do the metering mod... im trying to see if someone can modify the bolt for me(im not that good at modifing something like that)... let me know guys

mike

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd offer to help but with me living in Canada it would be a long time before you saw your bolts again. Shipping's a killer especialy this time of year.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont recall having any factory locker on the backing plate bolts, but them being fairly stout I just torqued the chit out of em, so I'm not worried.

I did apply locker on my front brakes after reading a couple threads about front caliper bolts backing out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts