Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my reman Delco calipers, almost ready for install!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
That is a good looking set up. Great job. When does it go in? Did you build up the gears too?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a long weekend later this month and will do it then. I bought it with the powder coating done and the gears set up already. I replaced the brake lines, hoses, calipers, bushings etc. I don't really care if it is pretty but it is so I'll roll with it, LOL. The 3:42's are going to be a big improvement over the 2:56's, I also have the brake proportioning kit to install with the disc conversion. Can't wait!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Energy bushings, I already have BMR upper and lower control arms with poly bushings.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got my rearend swapped today, started at 10 am, got done at 3:15 even with my brake bleeder blowing a seal and losing all my fluid on the drive, had to get a neighbor to run me to AZ for fluid and a new bleeder! I'm going to be a sore puppy tomorrow. Other that the brake bleeding it went very smoothly, the shocks, springs and control arms had been replaced so the only thing that hadn't been touched in 22 years was the u-joint bolts, they were easy. Did the stainless rear brake line too. Haven't done the brake bias trick yet, but did a small burnout and it was great to have that left one leave a stripe! My speedo was off before, indicated 51 mph=45 mph, now at 45, it shows 71 mph! Definitely shifts into 2nd differently , another 500 rpm's at 45 mph too. If someone in the Phoenix area wants a peg legged 2:56 RM diff with 153k on it, come and get it free! Was in great shape, clean fluid, always maintained, you haul it out. I am a happy camper!!

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Nice!
What car is this rear axle from and how much you paid for it? Three years ago I was ready for same project but couldn't get good axle for the right price. So I did drop this project. :( Is there any different feel now with disc brakes on rear?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's an Impala SS axle, I paid $600, built & powder coated, I added new brake lines and calipers so I have about $750 in it. This should be the first modification to any 2:56 car.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
3:42, speedo reads 70 at 45 mph now. I love it, best thing I have ever done to the RM! Still have to get the brake bias thing working, ordered BMR sway bars also. Will get the electronic speedo adapter to make it read correctly. Had to trim a little wheel well on the right side with the 275's. much better launch with both tires grabbing! Going to get the Willwood caliper set up soon too. My friend think I am crazy for selling my supercharged V6 Tacoma with 13" big brake kit to work on this "old man's car" but when they ride in it they also love it!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got my new BMR sway bars on today, man they are heavy and heavy duty! I did it at work ( my day off) and had to have a guy help me hold up the rear (48 lbs) while I bolted it in. He races an Integra in a local road race series and he said "you're going to rotate!". well at 1.5" it does look like overkill but it does not "rotate", it also does not "push", feels real neutral, makes the tires work hard now, love it!

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had a major problem with the rear end Sunday, I just basically ground to a halt and had to be towed home. Spent the day swapping back in the orig rear for now. Drained the diff and no metal seen, found the pinion nut was loose. Guess I have to tear it apart and check the bearings etc, good time to add the abs reluctor. This is a big setback as I just added my BMR sway bars and new Nitto tires. Anyone know of a good rear end guy in the Phoenix area (ok that doesn't sound right but you know what I mean)?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Oh wow. I've been following your thread from a distance. I don't know a rear end guy in Az. I have a good guy in Fl and one in Wa. Great work no issues with any of the rides.

Sorry about your setback. It'll be over before you know it.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Had a major problem with the rear end Sunday, I just basically ground to a halt and had to be towed home. Spent the day swapping back in the orig rear for now. Drained the diff and no metal seen, found the pinion nut was loose. Guess I have to tear it apart and check the bearings etc, good time to add the abs reluctor. This is a big setback as I just added my BMR sway bars and new Nitto tires. Anyone know of a good rear end guy in the Phoenix area (ok that doesn't sound right but you know what I mean)?
Did you rebuild the rear yourself or have someone else do it?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bought it off CL, Guy said he worked in a 4x4 shop and did these on the side.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thinking about doing it myself, need a shim kit, inch/lb torque wrench and a dial indicator. Have the torque wrench, need to get a dial indicator, shims and a reluctor, have access to a press at work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts