Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 RMS with the open diff 2.56 and no rear sway bar. This car is and will remain a true daily driver, which for me includes regular long road trips of 600 miles or more. I'm currently acquiring all the parts to completely resto-mod my suspension at one time. I have the Proforged steering kit, Energy Suspension body and suspension bushings (I've upgraded to poly on the last 2 cars I've owned: 96 Trans-AM and 78 Camaro and loved the results, including no squeaking that I could hear) and I'm debating springs. Basically don't want to lower the car more than an inch from stock RMS height, if that, but do want firmer ride. I'd also like the car to be as level as possible. I've narrowed it down to a couple of Moog PNs. Any advice on this would also be appreciated.

Despite the small loss of fuel economy, I'm going to upgrade to a 9c1 rear end for the posi (it snows occassionally here in northern NC/southern VA) and the disc brakes (I'm a pretty devoted fan of stopping the car). From what I've read, the 9c1 rear end is the same width as the RMS. I've started looking for one locally, but it seems most law enforcement in the surrounding areas used Crown Vics, so I haven't had a ton of luck. However, a friend put me in touch with a guy who's parting out a 95 SS. Most of the cool stuff I could use is gone (sway bars, springs, wheels), but he still has the rear end, which according to him could use a new posi unit but is in otherwise great shape. From what I understand, the SS rear is slightly wider than the RM, which allegedly can make a tire change more "interesting" and limit tire width. Does it really cause any significant issues with changing a flat? This is important to me for a long trip. How will this affect a possible upgrade to some 17 x 8s or stock SS wheels?

The other question I have concerns sway bars. As stated earlier, I have the 28mm front bar and no rear. After reading more than I ever wanted to know about rear control arms for these cars, I've decided for my purposes, stock is the way to go. Have said that, I just bought a NOS service bulletin LCA kit off eBay. I know that the SS bars are a good improvement for the RMS, but during a trip to the junkyard yesterday, I found a 95 Caddy Fleetwood. I saw that it had front and rear bars. I thought that any B-Body with stock F/R bars have 30mm fronts and 26mm rears, but I read a post on another thread the FW came with the same 28mm front bar I have with a 26mm rear bar. Is this true? Unfortunately, I didn't bring my calipers with me to measure the front, but I know I can use the rear. I didn't have time to remove either bar, but the yard said I could have them for $25 each. If the front bar is truly 28mm, I'll just get the rear.

Has anyone tried running the 28mm front with the 26mm rear on a RMS? Any improvement in handling? Does it make the car handle "weird"? Not looking to autocross the car, just have a better feeling of control on the interstate.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Both the front and rear original bars on my '95 FWB were smaller dia. than the comparable SS bars that I swapped in. If I read your concerns correctly regarding daily commuting, then upgrading bars does not adversely affect straightline smooth gliding comfort down the interstate nearly as much as it greatly improves handling and responsiveness in any turns.

All manner of effort should be undertaken to get discs in back if you currently have drums. Posi/LSD will be a wonderful perq to go with that swap. It sounds as though you realize considering age that any oem posi carrier will need its cone-type Auburn yanked and discarded and replaced.

When installing discs don't forget to do both master cylinder brake bolt modifications. Search Stealth Bolt and Proportioning Bolt, - easy fab your own or buy from forum sponsor.

You'll need RMS owners to help with axle width and tire clearance items.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
I put a 9C1 rear end on my old 94 RMS and it was a great upgrade. As you mentioned, the 9C1 disc rear is the same width as the drum rear end. I used a rear from an L99(4.3) 9C1 and it has 3.23 factory gears (VS 3.08 for the LT1). It was a huge improvement over the open 2.56. You definitely won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the good info!

Many thanks for this information. This saved me from buying the SS rear end. As much as I like the design of the RMS alloys, I would really like to upgrade to a 17 x 8 or the 17 x 8.5 SS wheels.

You also saved me from a potentially useless trip to the junkyard. I located a 96 Fleetwood with the FE2 suspension and towing package. I thought that it would have a posi rear end, but no FW had it.

So, the search is on for a junked 9C1. I wish I could find a salvage yard within a two or three hour drive that has junked police Caprices. (I live in Elizabeth City, NC, about an hour south of Norfolk, VA.) I haven't seen any junkyards with cop cars of any kind for that matter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the sway bars!

Picked up a 30mm front and 26mm rear off a 96 FW with FE2 this AM. $50 for the pair.

Now to find a 9C1 rear end. I've been to a couple of yards in my area (Elizabeth City, NC), but I haven't seen a cop car of any kind. I'm going to start calling yards around me to see what they have. There was a guy back in Baltimore that dealt in nothing but ex-police and fire Crown Vics. In a perfect world, I'd find a yard around here that deals with ex-cop cars. I did a Google image search for "Caprice police car North Carolina" and the only law enforcement Caprice pics that came up were for NC State Patrol cars, so maybe most local NC police forces didn't use Caprices.

·
Registered
133 Posts
How about this:

Rear Axle
Chevy Caprice 5.7,DISCBRAKES,POLICE

$350

L and L Auto Parts, Inc. USA-NC(Grover) Request_Quote 1-704-487-7401 / 1-800-289-5474 Request_Insurance_Quote

Sorry, this is closer....

Rear Axle
Chevy Caprice DISC BKS,1994 CAPRICE

$325

Oak Hill Used Auto Parts VARA USA-VA(Petersburg) Request_Quote 804-469-7179 / 800-553-7110

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks!

How did you find these? I've been scouring Craigslist and eBay. I've also visited four different yards, mostly in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area. I can't remember the site, but found one that supposedly accessed the inventory of hundreds of yards around the country, but it required registering, including a phone number, so I passed. I get enough robo-calls to "refinance my house, lower my credit card rate" etc. as it is, lol.

I'll contact these places tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll be making a short road trip for Memorial Day weekend!

The second listing you gave doesn't mention "police" or 9C1. Do rear discs on a Caprice indicate 9C1? Just got into the B-Body scene last year when I bought the RM, so I'm still learning.

Again, many thanks for the info!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Looks like a car-part.com listing.
Yup, car-part.com. I'm pretty sure a disk rear caprice means it's a 9C1, but it's possible is's a B4U. I'm sure someone will chime in, but I searched for rear-end, caprice, police, so that is how that one it's tagged, even if it doesn't actually say "police"

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup, car-part.com. I'm pretty sure a disk rear caprice means it's a 9C1, but it's possible is's a B4U. I'm sure someone will chime in, but I searched for rear-end, caprice, police, so that is how that one it's tagged, even if it doesn't actually say "police"
I looked at Oak Hill's web site and did a search for a 94 Caprice rear axle. The search function gave a choice of 8.5 rear, disc brakes and police package. BOOM! It spit out the axle at the price in your post! I'm calling them tomorrow.

Thanks again for the hook up!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts