Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, I'm not talking about the 70 year old woman living upstairs, I'm talking about my car. I just got the rear suspension done with the Metco extended length arms, new factory Impala springs and Hal adjustable shocks.

The car is still sitting about 3-4 inches low, as if I had 3-4 dead bodies in the trunk. I'm really getting annoyed because no one can explain it :mad: ! I've got a few leads to look into, but I figured too much input is never a bad thing.

Thanks in advance.

-Dan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? Anyone? Ed? Santa? Ed?

This is really bugging me because the only thing I can think of is I got the wrong springs from the dealer. I looked at the receipt from the dealer and it says "22132375 SPRING-RR 7.503".

Thanks in advance because in a few more days of looking at my lopsided Imp, I might not be able to form complete words or phrases :confused: .

-Dan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are they extended rears?

If so, it might just be that the spring is now canted at an angle (due to the extended arms) and causing this issue).

You might try the springs I have in the back now for "non-race" driving. Moog CC507s. They are about 1/2" or so taller than stock, and a bit stiffer as well (NOT good for my handling setup, thus why I don't run them while racing.....but works fine at "8/10ths" on the street). Nice part is they are CHEAP : about $70 or so to my door from JC Whitney. And takes less than an hour (heck, less than half an hour) to throw in.

Beyond that, I really can't tell you much without seeing the car in person to see if there are other issues you either are forgetting here (hell, I have trouble keeping track of all the crap I've even DONE to my car :D ), or just don't realize ARE issues because you haven't seen enough SS's in person and IN DETAIL to realize all the ins-n-outs involved.

To get started here though.....go out and take measurements on level ground to the wheel-well trim. Go to the bottom of the trim at the "top" of the wheel arch. And be sure to include WHAT your tire size is.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WooHoo!!! A response!

Thanks Ed, I'll get the measurements tonight. I was thinking about the differences with the extended arms, but the angle would only change a few degrees, I was thinking it wouldn't change all that much.

It was sitting a little low even before the extended arms. I was assuming it was the springs, but I guess that's not the case.

Thanks again.

-Dan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dan,

You can put airlift airbags in the rear springs. They will raise the rear and improve traction on the track.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input, guys.

Yeah, I was trying to stay away from airbags (I just want it to ride at the height it's supposed to!).

Here are the measurements:

Ground to Bottom of car (inside rear fender): ~8.75"

Ground to wheelwell moulding: ~25.5

Let me know if any more ideas spring up (sorry, I had to...).

Thanks again.

-Dan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wish I could offer assistance here... But I can't. ;)

So you know, I'm pulling for ya to get this straightened out!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Bill. You know first hand how much this is annoying me.

-Dan

(ps. So how'd you photoshop the smoke into your sig pic?)
(pps. Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ever think that your front might be higher than it is supposed to be? The numbers you posted are about what mine was before I lowered it...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FastSS:
ever think that your front might be higher than it is supposed to be?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dan, I see from the signature that you have Global West springs in front. They are taller than stock Impala springs. In my case, they were about the same height as the original 9c1 springs. The rear on my car does look a LITTLE BIT sagging without airbags inflated 8-12 lbs. I'll try to compare the numbers tommorow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.