Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone guide me in the direction or these bushings i was wondering weather to go with a SOLID TYPE BUSHING like a metal bushing or should i go polyurethane or graphite.

reason i ask cause i can seem to find these bushings sold seprately from th kits they come in for the aftermarket i know the stockers are sold sepreatlely but not the aftermarket ones and the only other ones i have seen are the metal gm bushings that they sell in JEGS in the suspension dept. this is going to be used on a 1/4 mile track car just want to see what your opinions are as i still have my original 150k miles rubber beat up stockers.

·
Vendor
141 Posts
Hello
I would suggest for drag racing purposes to go with a rod end. Yes you will still have the poly bushing in the rear (if its in good shape but if not I would go with a poly) But the solid rod end will hold up compared to having a poly bushing. But the ride quality will also be more aggresive. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad :D

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thats cool but i am not speaking about the control arms i have j&m double adjustable heim end rear arms what i am speaking about is the bushings that go pressed into the rear end housing do they make SOLID bushings for this application?

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have UMI's upper adjustables in my car and I love them, they have the spherical rod end on them and I really don't notice anything more harsh in the ride. They make a great product.

Mike

What Gen arms do you have? can you post pics?

Thanks

·
Registered
991 Posts

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
ok thats cool but i am not speaking about the control arms i have j&m double adjustable heim end rear arms what i am speaking about is the bushings that go pressed into the rear end housing do they make SOLID bushings for this application?
Do you understand how the rear suspension works through it's range of motion?? Apparently not, you are looking to bind it up terribly. I am getting 1.53s out of a TRUE street car with the original bushings in the axle and original upper control arms. You are overthinking things.

I have a pair of adjustable heim end UMIs for the rear upper I will get put in one of these days, BUT I am staying with the rubber bushing in the axle.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you mean ss i would have ot call there tech line to see if those bearings will interchange and work on a 8.5 rear as that is just what i was looking for i had seen them before but couldnt find them.

does anyone by any chance familiar with the what rear end came on the 64-72 a-bodys i could have sworn it was a 12bolt of somesort would be great to get specs of both bushings to see if they are interchangable those would work great with my uppers and make my complete rear suspension double spherical ended on both the upper and lowers.

·
Premium Member
6,327 Posts
The B-body rear upper bushing (on the axle side) has an OD of 1.86", with the actual hole in the casting somewhere between 1.84 & 1.85, for a .010 nominal interference fit of a standard stamped steel bushing shell.

If your objective is to go fully-articulated, take a look at THIS part from Currie. It will probably require a slight amount of additional machining to achieve a 1.855 to 1.860 OD.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The B-body rear upper bushing (on the axle side) has an OD of 1.86", with the actual hole in the casting somewhere between 1.84 & 1.85, for a .010 nominal interference fit of a standard stamped steel bushing shell.

If your objective is to go fully-articulated, take a look at THIS part from Currie. It will probably require a slight amount of additional machining to achieve a 1.855 to 1.860 OD.

what are the measurements on the bushings on the rear end case which is a 7.5 to see if the ones that global west sells which are the same as the curries as well.

·
Registered
362 Posts
thank you mean ss i would have ot call there tech line to see if those bearings will interchange and work on a 8.5 rear as that is just what i was looking for i had seen them before but couldnt find them.

does anyone by any chance familiar with the what rear end came on the 64-72 a-bodys i could have sworn it was a 12bolt of somesort would be great to get specs of both bushings to see if they are interchangable those would work great with my uppers and make my complete rear suspension double spherical ended on both the upper and lowers.

That depends. Some have 10-bolts of various sizes in them and others have the 12 bolt. It depends on which engine the car had originally. A base Malibu with an I-6 is going to have a 7.5" 10 bolt, where as the 70 Chevelle SS454 w/ the LS6 came with a 12-bolt. But I think that you should really look at the above post. A solid bushing on the rear end is going to make the suspension bing quite severely.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts