Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am replacing the brake hose above the rear end. There seems to be a difference where they attach to the frame hard line. The new one has only a V shape inside. The old one has a boss in the middle, similar to the holes on the split block at the other end.
Should I use the new one or is it not the right part.
My car is a 1987 Brougham but am putting a 8.5 rear end with discs. Originally the car had drums.
Here`s a picture but I am not sure it is clear enough

·
Premium Member
6,458 Posts
Matei, you need to make sure the fittings are compatible--and it will be correct to find a replacement for the original hose, which I "think" may work with the new axle hard lines. It is an inverted flare design (old hose on right in photo).

If you use the new hose with the old flared pipe coming from the front, it will leak. It's called an ISO bubble flare, common on later-model vehicles - takes a special flaring tool to make the flare, and the hose for the late B-body is probably M10-1.0 or M12-1.0 at the frame end, where the hose connection on the Caddy frame is more than likely SAE thread spec. you can take the hoses to an auto parts store that has a selection of brake tube fittings and confirm this.

Better that you find a shop that can fabricate the hybrid setup, if you need it. I am not 100% sure that the fittings at the inner ends of the new axle hard lines are 3/8" -16 with standard flares--they may be ISO bubble too, but what I sent you is what you will need to use--the hard line ends can't be easily changed, unless you cut them and did some sort of joint outboard of each connection to the T-block. That is not a desirable solution.

If I'm correct, the part that would be "normal" replacement for your car is this (info from Rock Auto):

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1152840&cc=1027101

It's used on a wide range of B-body cars from 77-90, and probably others.

Below is the equivalent hose listed for the same position on 94-96 Impala SS & Caprice (disc or drum rear):

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=111759&cc=1049699

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bill you are right, the old hose should fit the hard lines on the axle, they seem to have similar flares on the distribution block. (I got the parts, thanks by the way)
It is true I ordered the one from the Impala. I thought it would be the same, I did not expect them to change the flare between the years. That`s why I did not take the time to check.

Jay, do you mean it is easy to remove the block? I thought you`d need to crimp itwith a special hydraulic tool on the hose
Anyways I have to buy a new line

Thanks guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.