Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a pair of Monroe Severe Service shocks a couple weekends ago and found the bottom bolt holes to be oval instead of round. A couple weeks later, I can feel the movement in those bolts again even after tightening the crap out of them with my impact wrench. What is the best way to remedy this? I was thinking of welding a large washer to make the bolt hole round again. Any other ideas?

Greg

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Decades back I had luck on a hogged out hole by grinding a tiny piece of smooth rod that roughly fit the worn space and shaped to keep the bolt immobile. I made it ever so slightly thicker than the material gauge it was going in, and used stout washers to squeeze it in there and make sure nothing moved around.

With access to a welder your idea is way better - other than filling and drilling whole new holes.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip on using a spacer. My son has a welder knows welding and I doubt I could weld well enough to get the job done. In case I can't match schedules with him, I will try to make a spacer like you did.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts