Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
701 Posts
oh and don't forget the sensor that's in the back of the intake, i forgot what it's called someone help me out, it tends to leak also
The oil pressure sending unit? Btw, if it is the rear main leaking and you don't want to drop the oil pan in the back, you'll need the 1-piece main seal install tool. I think i got mine at O'rileys. They may actualy loan those out now.

· Registered
1,115 Posts
I think my rear main seal is leaking. The last rear seal I did was the old 2 piece type. What am I in for if I try to fix this? I just want to make sure I'm prepared before I pull the trans out.
As others have stated here, check the area at the back of the intake manifold (Intake Gasket) for leaks? And also check the "Oil Pressure Sender" unit for leaks. To do this, get some engine degreaser such as Gunk etc.., then spray down the rear area of the intake mainifold and let it set a few mins, then rinse the area with water and let it dry. Run the car for approx 20-30 mins, get it back to the house and with a good light source, Check the rear of the intake, oil pressure sender and rear main seals for any leaks. Here's a couple of pics for the rear of the intake manifold and the rear main seal area for reference.

Rear of LT1 Intake Manifold

1 Piece Rear main seal

· Registered
2,720 Posts
Rear mains aren't known as a weak spot on these anywhere near what the rear of the intake is known for.

· Registered
107 Posts
Nice pics of the back of the motor. Much appreciated...

· Registered
2,090 Posts
no one mentioned the oil filter adapter gasket....everyone ive changed has dried up the bottom of motor and no more leaks

· Registered
67 Posts
When I first bought my imp I got an oil change with royal purple, then it leaked good around oil filter adapter and from the oil cooler lines. Replaced both and still had small leaks coming from somewhere and I was still using the syntheic oil. Added Lucas stop oil leak and ran it thru for 6k miles and bottom of engine is dry.;)
Get the Lucas it works!;)

· Registered
107 Posts
I will keep that in mind. I am thinking I am dry for now, but I am not driving it much. We will see.

· Registered
1 Posts
Oil leak on my 1996 impala ss

I have a constant oil leak on my 96ss when running with the car in park u can see oil dripping out the dust cover between the motor and transmission I'm thinking it is my rear main seal on my motor an someone help me out on this matter

· Registered
1,782 Posts
I have a constant oil leak on my 96ss when running with the car in park u can see oil dripping out the dust cover between the motor and transmission I'm thinking it is my rear main seal on my motor an someone help me out on this matter
Sure. Start on page 1 of the thread you just added to and read the parts about the rear of the intake. Sounds like it may apply.

· Registered
6,540 Posts
G rider

oil migrates down to the lowest point of the motor so your visual on where the drip is requires you to find the "where" it is coming from

while RMS can leak, that is not nearly as likely as rear intake manifold or oil filter adapter or even valve cover gaskets

run your hand accross the back of the intake where it meets the block....if oily....replace the gaskets for intake along with a 1/4" bead of Permatex Black "ultra" RTV front & rear of block and about 1/2" up onto the heads. Some also like "The Right Stuff" RTV also

· Banned
3,437 Posts

that is where they all leak down to the ground. my leak was at the front cover the oil drained down at the flywheel cover. this can be intake manifold ,oil pan, opti engine seals on and on ..... happy leak hunting..

· Registered
508 Posts
I have oil dripping from the inspection cover too. But the oil odor comes in to the car when the heat is on. I didn't feel any oil on the rear of the engine. One day I'll pull the intake, just because it's so common.

I know my front seal is leaking.

· Banned
3,437 Posts
I have oil dripping from the inspection cover too. But the oil odor comes in to the car when the heat is on. I didn't feel any oil on the rear of the engine. One day I'll pull the intake, just because it's so common.

I know my front seal is leaking.
what front seal ? crankshaft ?

If the crankshaft front is leaking remove the belt and see if you can move the crank pulley up and down ..

· Banned
3,437 Posts
It's the common seal, behind the water pump. I just don't feel like pulling it apart.
that/those front seals leaking will cause you to think it is the rear main seal. when I did the water pump opti last year the front cover was leaking [bolts loose ] the very small oil leak stopped at the flywheel cover. I did have some other small leaks when I used some of the bars oil stop leak those small leaks stopped but did not stop the front cover loose bolts from leaking.. no leaks now ..thats good IMO for a vehicle this old. I used to get a penny sized drip every few days ..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.