Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So bought my 95 dcm not too long ago and I realized today that the rear passenger speaker is not working. I took the speaker out today and it is practically new. The conection looked good as well as the wires. So I am wondering what to trouble shoot next? I am pretty sure there has been body work to the passenger side as well.

95 dcm as
Stock 43k miles

·
Registered
581 Posts
The speaker could still be bad. Both rear aftermarket speakers that came in my car were bad or going bad and they still looked new. I would say try swapping the speakers around to see if the problem follows the speaker or the car. If it follows the speaker, you got yourself a bad speaker. If it follows the car then either the wiring is bad or the headunit is bad. - Peter

·
Registered
815 Posts
Since the speaker is easy to get to, try this first:
If you have a DMM (Ohm Meter), check the speaker terminals for 4 to 10 ohms. If you don't have a DMM, use a 1½ Volt battery like C or D and connect each side of the battery to the two speaker terminals for a second. This should be heard as a pop, and the speaker cone should either move inward or outward (depending on the polarity).

If the speaker checks out OK, then re-connect it and check the plugs are seated properly in the rear of the radio. I have witnessed many Delco radios where these become intermittent.

Worst case would be one channel of the audio output IC in the radio has burnt out. This would most likely be caused by the speaker wire being crushed and shorted to each other or body ground. The output IC can be replaced, but switching the radio with another unit would be faster and likely cheaper.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts