Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone using these? I thought it might be a good idea to use them in conjunction with the 3/4" extended control arms and driveshaft I've already installed. They're available at Streettrends. Are they only for bagged applications or what? If not, any special tips on how and where they should be installed?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Thumbnail is showing on my browser.

I would worry about the coil spring upper mount location much more than a 3/4inch offset of the shock mount. 3/4inch offset over the length of the shock would change the angle only a few degrees. I think I have seen some vehicles with the shock mount on the axle being on the front of one side and the back of the other.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
Anyone using these? I thought it might be a good idea to use them in conjunction with the 3/4" extended control arms and driveshaft I've already installed. They're available at Streettrends. Are they only for bagged applications or what? If not, any special tips on how and where they should be installed?

the bolt design is china crap.. bolt shoulder must be much longer..

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
They're available at Streettrends. ?
You may want to look at a different vendor to get these. See recent post on ST's as they seem to just be taking people's money. Also not a big fan of pushing the rear back 3/4" just to center the look of the wheel. This seems to throw off the geometry of the rear suspension and really no benefit other than the look.

I think I have seen some vehicles with the shock mount on the axle being on the front of one side and the back of the other.
Yes, IIRC, the 70-81 camaro/firebird had this staggered rear shock mounts. They were plates that mounted under the axle with the shock mounted to that plate. The plates were side specific and the LR shock mounts behind the axle and RR shock mounts in front of axle.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I was less worried about the shock angle than the resulting spring angle.

-Brian

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
I was less worried about the shock angle than the resulting spring angle.

-Brian
That is just 1 of the issues caused by pushing the Rear back 3/4" that concerns me. The Bottom mount changes but the top mount for the Spring Perches stay where they were, so now there is more of an angle in the Spring. Like I said, the Geometry is completely changed when you do this mod just to center the Rear Wheels. Just not worth it IMHHO but many here have done it.

Any place to get rear shock relocation brackets besides StreetTrends?
Any other way to accomplish this?
Why do I keep thinking of Navy Lifer when rear shock relocation brackets come to mind?
You may be thinking of the Upper Shock Mount U-Bolt kits he sells.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts