Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking replacing my shocks with the monroe severe service shocks that are recommended by other users in this forum. I was wondering what others have done with the load leveling on the factory shocks. Do you guys un-hook the airlines and pull the fuse on the compressor? Or what would you guys recommend?

·
Premium Member
6,317 Posts
If you don't care about the load-leveling feature, what you propose will work just fine.

The option would be to keep the load-leveling by installing an airbag in each rear spring to retain that function, allowing you to use any rear shock absorber made for the B chassis.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the info. I will look into air bags and see what they run. Do you have any suggestions on which air bags to look at?

Got the front shocks changed tonight. That top nut is very frusterating as I am sure most of your know. Ended up putting a tach weld on the shaft so my vise grip wouldn't slip. I even had the special shock removal tool, but the tabs broke off the top cause I got in a hurry and tried to remove the nut too fast. Should have let the nut soak in PB a little while longer I guess.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wouldn't recommend replacing the load-level shocks. I tried that, to keep the car original, but 40,000 miles later I think the compressor is too weak to pump them up when heavily loaded.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts