Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have been told the stock rear auto leveling shocks are no longer available - is that right - and what alternatives do I have replacing my old ones? I wouldn't mind having less of that boaty feeling - at the same time I quite like the auto leveling. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I believe you can get Monroe air shocks that do the same thing.

Tom C.

·
Registered
499 Posts
A quick search of Rockauto reveals AC Delco and Monroe airshocks available. I have the Monroe airshocks and they worked fine with my autolevel, but my pump died a few years ago so I have changed it to manual fill (which I like better anyway).

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
^^^ that is the way i'd go

·
Registered
144 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
about a year ago I did Monroe severe duty air shocks on mine and used the manual inflate kit no complaints at all I haul allot of pounds of stereo weight on 20" tires and haven't had a problem

·
Registered
157 Posts
I put

New springs and shocks all the way around.
Regular, of course.
Napa springs and Monroe shocks from Pep Boys, buy 3 get 1 in October always.
I need to do something with the rear, as I am unhappy with the base Monroe shocks, too loose in rear.
So, I was going to get Bilstein, or better yet, coil overs for shocks, and that should tighten me up.

Also to note, I did the alignment, and would advise to align the way I did, if you are an extremely aggressive driver as I am.
Have the toe negative and the camber negative, yet still in spec., but adjusted out pretty good ( lean in at the top, and toed out). It really blows people away to see a wagon handle the way mine does ;>)

·
Registered
46 Posts
More caster is also better for handling. Tilts the wheels into the turn and doesn't affect tire wear, actually would improve it. So..........I put bags in my springs when the old airshocks got loose. That's really the way to go. The KYBs I put in the rear lasted about 3 yrs and now they're lose as hell, but if I inflate the airbags they press against the coils so hard that it doesn't bounce upo and down at all. What I'm saying is that the friction created by the airbag inside the coil dampens all up and down movement extremely well and acts like a tight shock would even if the shocks are shot like mine. So that's how I've been able to procrastinate replacing my worn out rear shocks, just keep the bags inflated. Btw, my factory air pump quit working so I converted to manual inflation with a tire valve. Thinking about getting my replacement pump working by wiring it with a toggle switch. Don't know why it won't work, it's all hooked up properly, oh well. Also, bags are $58/pair and airshocks are $250/pr approximately. And the bags put the load where it belongs and not on the shock mounts. Good luck

·
Registered
157 Posts
re phrase or more on it

It is not toed out per say, it is still in specifications.
It is, as negative as possible, both toe and camber, yet still in spec.
I do also have stock sized tires on still, the FR380 Firestone ( square tires )
If I had wider tires, I would set to zero for obvious reasons.
I adjusted as such, to counter the disadvantage in cornering at high speeds, with stock tires.
So, yeah, tip is for handling, not tire wear.
Too, I picked 5 of those tires up for 265 new, so I get 'em cheap too.
I only get the typical slight chop everyone gets even with perfect toe with front heavy vehicles, albeit a tad quicker, 4k, not 6k mileage wise.
I can take corners quite fast though :D

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
A few months ago, I got Monroe air shocks, on CLEARANCE, f/ rockauto. Approx $ 35 the whole kit! For my RMS.

·
Registered
157 Posts
anyone have

regular replacement springs and coil over shocks in the rear ?
that was what I was thinking of moving to so as to remove the looseness in the rear, my current set up.

·
Registered
579 Posts
regular replacement springs and coil over shocks in the rear ?
that was what I was thinking of moving to so as to remove the looseness in the rear, my current set up.

I did Gabriel rear coilovers on the back of my 1991 wagon with a dead compressor and leaking OEM air shocks, FTW.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thanks

I will make the move to the coil overs in the spring, and if I have to, add a stabilizer bar in the rear.
I'll do the shocks first, but not yet.
I just replaced the front brakes, completely (CPR), all new rubber hoses, calipers and wheel cylinders while I was at it, as well as front bearings and seals.
Went with Severe Duty Rotors and pads from AZ.
All parts around 350, including rear glass air shocks too.
A little fade in the Va. mountains, but after that, they seemed to have broken in nicely.
The fade was expected on those hills (81>64>6>220)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts