Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just did this on my wagon. If there is a Pepbuys or the like near you I think they will swap them for $13 apiece which is a bargain. The rear upper bolts 2 on each shock are a PITA as they are hard to reach and are nut and bolt so you need tools on both sides. If the shocks are original the nuts will be on top making it even harder, if they have been replaced I hope for your sake they put the nuts on bottom because that is slightly easier to deal with. Not a technically involved job just one where long arms and small hands would be nice and maybe a third hand, not many of us a built like that though.

Any time you are uner the car have it on stands not just the jack(just a disclaimer I am sure you knew that). If you should decide to try lift the chassis high enough to work under the car to unbolt the lower shock mounts 3/4"socket, pop those out and then continue raising the car till the axle hangs. The springs should come out easily then which will give you more room to work it is optional though not manditory. The uppers are I THINK 10mm for the bolt and 13mm for the nut, I found a 1/4" drive ratchet on top works best reguardless of wether the nut or bolt is there. I used air for the other end with long extensions to below the axle so I had room to move. It is a stretch to hang onto the ratchet on top and work a tool down low, does wonders for your abs though you will feel like you were doing situps all day by the time you finish.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think Dwayne covered everything, but if you have access to a lift, rear spring removal is not necessary at all. I swapped out my original shocks before I finished my car, took me about 25 min to do the rears, on the lift of course.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.