Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has had the pleasure of trying to remove the wagon's side glass? Any tips? Heat? Piano wire?

I am real close to just using my 5lb sledge.

Thanks.

·
Registered
513 Posts
they make a special tool called a hot knife. It is air powered and cuts by moving back and forth with a stainless steel blade very fast which heats the sealer around the window. Most junk yards have them, they run about $125 in body shop supply stores. That is if you want to save and reuse the glass. The trim has to be removed and cut from the inside.

wire can be used but is very hard to do without breaking the glass.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information... sounds like a cool tool to have in the garage.. now how to justify purchasing one.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Pre-crash, there was a thread about this subject. One member said that body shop got so frustrated they called a glass company. And then the glass company complained about it being so hard to do.

I took one out of my car. It didn't have any glass in it, and it was a major PITA. I figured two or three hours (like my explorer). Took all day.

If I wanted to save the glass, I'd call a pro. If I were replacing a busted glass, I'd probably still call a pro...

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
I started to take one out, and gave up...The glass company does not want to remove it, because a NEW one costs $900. The cost of one in the PNP JY here is $45, but without the special knife I would not even try it. I hate to see the glass get crushed, and cringe whenever I see one go. On a similar note, someone cut around the vista glass with a sawzall to get the glass. I assume he is going to take the glass off at home. It is easier to get the glass that way.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like it is hammer time.... and shop vac....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I found the rear glass fairly easy to remove. I pulled the hinge pins on the vent windows and removed it. Then I used a propane torch and heated metal frame on the inside. I used a piece of cardboard to shield the glass from any of the heat from the torch (localized high heat might break glass). I did each section between the screws separately. Once it was hot I used a thin sharp knife (just a cheap kitchen knife I had in the shop) and cut through the adhesive. It cut fairly easily once it was warm. I did not have to heat it excessively, but it did get good and hot.

Work your way around the window and then lightly push to make sure you have it free all the way around. The glass will flex slightly so you can tell fairly easily. Once you feel you have it fully free have someone catch the glass and gently push it out, you may need to sever a few points of adhesive as the glass is coming out.

I did end up scratching the paint some on the outside (from the tip of the knife) but I was parting the car out and just wanted the glass for spares so I didn't care about the paint. Sure beat paying someone else to do it.

The vista glass was held in with a non-setting type sealant (not sure if this is factory or not) and came out very easily by using the same knife but working from the outside.

In both cases make sure you remove or at least loosen all of the retaining nuts first. Take your time and work carefully and you'll get it out in one piece. Also be carefully anytime you are pulling a knife toward yourself, if it slips you are likely to cut yourself. (My nose is proof of this, luckily it was just my nose and not excessively deep....I think)

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Outside Trim comes out with the glass.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks.

I got about a third done before calling it quits for dinner time. I tried a flexible butter spreader, hacksaw blade and key hole saw with about equal results. So far, not fun but not impossible.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
I have the solution to removing the side glass relatively easily. I found that a vibrating cutter with a reshaped blade that looks like a knife works great. I can cut them out in about 1/2 hour. You have to remove them from the inside. I would put a piece of slippery tape over the wing window post to keep from damaging it. You do not have to remove the vent window, but you do have to remove the vent window latch, or take the roll pin out. You can cut the front edge from the outside.

Be careful with the depth of the blade insertion, because you can scratch the paiint on the outside of the car if you go too far. The vibrating blade gets hot, and melts as well as cuts the urethane.

If you are doing it by yourself, take the nuts off of the studs, but leave two along the top loosely on the studs to keep the window from falling out. You can still make sure the glass is completely loose, and then remove the nuts and then the glass.

Since my last post here I have also found out that there are no new side glass panels

This technique cost me $50 to see a professional glass installer pull a pair. I tried it, and it is something any good shade tree mechanic can do.

I am going to pull both of my rears this weekend, and have the new glass in both sides.

I have to do the vista glass too, and if it is not urethaned, it will be easy. The one at the yard was held with butyl caulk, bue mine looks like urethane. I will find out after I do the sides.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Got it out! Best poor mans version seemed to be the heat gun and cheap steak knife. It was a pain but since I was so intimidated by it success without ruining anything feels like victory! Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Good info, is there demand for people looking for these windows, I am parting out a car and if it is too much work they might just go to the srap yard.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
There is not a big demand for the windows, but when someone needs one, there are usually none available. In an " I need it now" scenerio, they are worth about $125-175 each plus packing and shipping. The Roadmaster and Caprice windows are different.

It can generally take 15-45 minutes to remove one, depending on the tools and stubbornness of the individual window. The left side of my car came out in 15 min. and the right side took about an hour.

Be careful when cutting, because the reveal plastic is about the same consistancy as the urethane, and you can cut large sections of the part, which could render it useless. Do not pry on the part excessively because it can bend the underlying soft metal, and chrome trim, and possibly break the glass. Let it come off naturally as much as possible.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If nothing else, do like the gentleman I bought mine from did, just cut the whole frame out with a sawzall or something. He apparently had them sitting outside by his shed for some time and the window was fine. I felt like I was getting a steal at $100 when the glass people quoted me $800

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
If nothing else, do like the gentleman I bought mine from did, just cut the whole frame out with a sawzall or something. He apparently had them sitting outside by his shed for some time and the window was fine. I felt like I was getting a steal at $100 when the glass people quoted me $800
They quoted you $800, but they can not get one, they are unavailable. There are no new ones.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Anyone with experience know if the side glass and reveal unit needs to be removed for a quality paint job?

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
That is the same question you would ask about the front windshield or the vista window. It will always be better without the glass. 90% of paint jobs are done with the glass in place. If you are looking for a "like new" paint job, yes you have to remove all of the glass, and all of the trim, and anything you would tape to keep paint off of it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts