Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When changing out my rear speakers I noticed how they used some thin foam "cups" around them, I guess for acoustical reasons. I thought maybe it would be a good idea when I upgrade the sound system a little more to make my own cups better insulated than the stockers. I was thinking of maybe fiberglass, with thick acoustical foam lining.

Has anyone doen this before?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Im sure someone has. And it would be an improvement Im sure. Especially if running subs.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
6x9 speakers are designed to run in the rear deck "infinite baffle", or "free air" and if you put them in a tiny enclosure, then they will sound like crap, adn have little to no bass at all.

the foam that is there from the factory is NOT like sealing them with a fiberglass enclosure.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I didnt exactly mean "sealed enclosure", just better enclosure. So not only would it sound better but next time I go to shoving a bunch of boxes in the trunk I dont rip one of the cups. What think ye?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by PIMPALA-SS™:
6x9 speakers are designed to run in the rear deck "infinite baffle", or "free air" and if you put them in a tiny enclosure, then they will sound like crap, adn have little to no bass at all.
Jason, what about if you're running two free-air 10's in a baffle board against the back seat - would the subs effectively be pushing the 6x9 cones around?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by sherlock9c1:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by PIMPALA-SS™:
Jason, what about if you're running two free-air 10's in a baffle board against the back seat - would the subs effectively be pushing the 6x9 cones around? </font>[/QUOTE]yes. but a foam cup wont help that much. the pressure from the subs will not only get to the 6x9s from the back, but the pressure inside the cabin will also push them around.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, yes they will. But really any decent substage will push around your smaller speakers.... it's gonna happen. In my old car I would burp tones in the substage and you could watch the front speakers move.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by PIMPALA-SS™:
... but a foam cup wont help that much. the pressure from the subs will not only get to the 6x9s from the back, but the pressure inside the cabin will also push them around.
Sorry, I should have clarified - yes the foam cups are useless (threw them out last night, as a matter of fact). BUT... I've seen guys actually build real enclosures for their 6x9s in the back deck, and they do make sturdy plastic sealed baffles (Pep Boys carries them) that would be probably be decent with a layer of dynamat around their outside to prevent resonance. But.. the volume of these things is very small (probably 1/8 cu ft), so you'd only get bass at small volumes. Maybe this is a big deal about nothing? Just leave them free-air then?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Instead of putting fancy enclosures in the rear deck. I think it would look and maybe sound better to build a fiberglass enclosure in the 1/4 window area. I mean we dont use it to see out of. You should be able to fab. something up to run 6.5" and a tweeter.

I dont think I've seen this.

Then make a custom rear deck with a nice port hole through the middle.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I saw it once on sound domain or something... maybe it was cusstom.... but it was ugly as hell the way I saw it.

And for the wagon guys... our mounts are HORRIBLE, if you insist on using the factory locations I'd make sure to deaden the panels, and seal the backwave into the compartment. The stock config leaves for A LOT of room to improve IMO.

[ 04-09-2007, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: UndercoverPunk ]

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the advice fellas. I've got a wagon too, and it'll get its turn once the 9c1 is done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts