1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Driftwood Metallic 5.8 Vortec TBI
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Font Material property Screenshot Parallel Number
Line Material property Font Circle Coil spring
I just ordered these 200lb rear springs to go with my crown Vic fronts. Will these be okay ride wise with the 9c1 bars and sport bilsteins I have currently? Just highway cruise and aggressive street driving… looking to be stock impala height.
Probably will just have to see how it rides when I get the springs and another alignment…

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Considering Spohn or Hellwig for bars for the spring. Already have pro touring brace welded in and tall upper ball joints

·
Registered
789 Posts
Not sure exactly what the ride hide of the crown vic springs are but MOOG 7268 front springs #748 or Moog 80098 will get you to stock ride height up front with #750.

For the rears not exactly sure, I have hotchkis lowering springs in the back, but because my rear end is centered and I relocated my spring perch it sits a bit higher and looks similar to stock height.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

As for shocks, I was running regular bilsteins all around but I changed the fronts out to the ak1503 bilsteins which are setup to dampen more stiffer springs from what I've been told. It's been a while since I did the switch over so I can't really recall how the driving dynamics were affected.

Very happy with this setup

·
Registered
468 Posts
+1 on the Moog #7268 front springs. I also have the Tru-Coil from Speedway motors 200lbs for the rear which gives me the same height as stock.

Reactions: IndyL03

·
Registered
789 Posts
Well I tried running a matching f + r spring with bilsteins shocks during my autocross saga this summer and it just wasnt it. Was running hotchkis + bilsteins.

Went with the forum setup that pretty much the top ISSCA autocrossers use which is the 750 spring / stockist rear spring setup. And the car both in terms of daily driving and performance driving improved significantly.

·
Registered
789 Posts
This is the roll with a 750 spring up front with stock ride height and BMR bars all around.

I just can't see how dropping the car more than an inch with 200 less spring rate on the eibachs doesn't bottom you out on the bump stops and cause for even a worse overall ride.

The hotchkis setup was too soft up front, no grip to the rear wheels at all. I could have maybe went to a smaller rear bar to alleviate it but without bucket seats I needed less body roll so I could drive the car with stock seats and not get pinned against the window.

Basing my spring rates based on this comment as I can't find any info on the product listings.
Eibach (per Rick at Eibach)
Front: 588 lb/in (linear)
Rear: 143 lb/in initial, 228 lb/in final

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I just ordered these 200lb rear springs to go with my crown Vic fronts. Will these be okay ride wise with the 9c1 bars and sport bilsteins I have currently? Just highway cruise and aggressive street driving… looking to be stock impala height.
750Lb fronts are commonly paired with 150-200Lb rears by many members of this forum.

A poster named scot has many posts about these combinations. Some current posters should know him well.
This was a good read:

The 9C1 springs moog sold were 5419 Rear Caprice 79-96 173Lbs GM never seemed to publish the OEM stats for the rear 9C1 springs.

There are many threads of members happy with the 750-170 pairing and it's variations. With different goals for the car's use the shock absorber's specifications change.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Sherlock has warned me about irrelevant posts. Is this one?
I would respectfully suggest that Sherlock must have tried to give constructive feedback to you. I doubt anyone intended to "gore your ox"; so posting like this in various threads seems unnecessary.

Personally, I certainly know I have gotten off track here, as well as repeated modifications that I am passionate about ad nauseam (in other members eyes).

·
Registered
590 Posts
So, you might pose the question, what type of a scenario would be good with no damping? Well, the answer is that any road input that comes at the car quicker than Nat. Freq. will be felt less by the driver if the dampers have no damping. At highway speeds, that means pavement seams and pot holes, but it also means that in your car with its 2Hz ride frequency, anything that takes less than about 1/3 of a second to happen will upset the car less with no damping and more with more damping.
The 750/170 springs? Most especially.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Installed the 200’s earlier today. Rides good on interstate. Feels same as before in my apt complex over speed bumps

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
only thing Im wondering is which sway bars to go with but it already turns good with these 9c1 bars on there. may be good as is

·
Registered
468 Posts
I find that the stock rear bar has been the best for putting down power when exiting a turn when autocrossing. Seems as the stiff rear bar makes the car oversteer when applying power on a turn. Just my $0.02

Reactions: toonwarrior

·
Registered
789 Posts
I find that the stock rear bar has been the best for putting down power when exiting a turn when autocrossing. Seems as the stiff rear bar makes the car oversteer when applying power on a turn. Just my $0.02
A few have told me this too i.e ed and brian coleman, rustic racing also had that on their impala ss autocross. But I noticed the common denominator of each of these cars was a proper bucket seat with a harness. Not sure if you have stock seats in it still?

When I put the stock bar in the rear I just couldn't stay put with the stock seats and belt. That being said there's also the factor of driver mod, maybe it was my driving that could have resolved it.

That being said with the BMR setup I didn't have issues with getting thrown around, I feel like I can get out on the power fairly quickly without sliding out too hard but I have to keep in mind my car is stock power with stock manifolds.

Guess there's just a million other factors like tires and what not so I hope to make out to ISSCA and experience setups that you guys have been running for years. Though I think the next ISSCA is a bit too far out for me to come 😤

1 - 20 of 21 Posts