Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I prefer to have a level rather than a raked look. 96 SS with HA front/rear, Hotchkis x-tend control arms, stock springs and shocks.

I don't want to lower the front, just the rear... would it not be a good idea to just install rear springs like the eibachs? What would be better... the caprice or the impala springs to lower the back to be level with the front?

I guess shocks could be changed soon... approaching 60,000 miles. Any all comments suggestions welcomed.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by AutocroSSer:
Moog CC627 rear springs should do the trick.
That's interesting.... Cargo Coils, Hmmm! Anyone using these? Would love to hear the results!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
last year i put on cargo springs,wanting a firmer ride i did get a firmer ride,but it brought the rear end up about 1 1/2 inches higher than the front end.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Currently when measured from floor to the fender through the center of the wheel the front is 27" and the rear is 27.25"

Ideally I would like to lower the rear .75 to 1.0"

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Key here is WHICH Cargo Coils you run...aka they aren't all the same, ya know ;)

The cc627s will lower an SS about 1". The cc621s will raise it about 1", and the cc507s will raise it even more than that!

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks... I will get a set of the cc627's

I guess I may as well do the shocks also... I was thinking of the edlebrock IAS?

Would the ride be much harsher with the CC627's?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would'nt know about the ride but, dont get those Edelbrock shocks. They're crap, just do a search.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ordered the CC627's and the Bilstein 1104/0929's. Should have them later next week. I will post results for those interested after the installation. Thanks again for all the helpful information!

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have most of the parts, just waiting on the rear spring insulator pads from Dal. Was doing a bit of reading and have a question on the rear spring orientation when installed. I will be installing the CC627's and want to know which way the pigtail end should be pointing? I guess this is called indexing? Does this apply with the CC 627's... I know the close coil section goes at the top and read the pigtails should point towards the drivers side. Would that be the top or bottom pigtail?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I seem to remember the top/bottom of the spring to be obvious when I looked at it. You should know which is which when you see how the stockers come out. As for the pigtail, it is to point to the left of the car, perpendicular to the center line of the chassis.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the information on which end goes up on the cargo coils... my question on the pigtails is... which pigtail points to the left (top or bottom)? Both ends appear to have pigtails, but I may be mistaken (as is usually the case)

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Installed the springs and shocks today... net result is a 5/8" drop in the rear which just about eliminates the rake look.

Measurements taken from floor to bottom of wheel well opening through the center of the wheel.

Before...

LF - 27.25"
RF - 27.0"
LR - 27.0"
RR - 27.0"

After...

LF - 27.25"
RF - 27.0"
LR - 26.375"
RR - 26.375"

ED... Thanks for the info!!! Worked out perfectly!!!

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by GW9C1:
so, which to index? top or bottom?
When I removed the stock springs, the bottom coil pigtail was indexed to the left, so... that's how I installed the CC 627's

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You should index it so the end of the TOP pigtail of the spring points directly at the LEFT side of the car on both sides.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmmmm... wish someone chimed in before I installed them... oh well. I looked at the old springs and both pigtails point the same way... so hopefully the same is true on the CC 627's. I will take a peak next time I'm under there.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just got my MOOG CC627 rear springs and put them in in about 20 minutes. It lowered the rear of my Impala 3/4 of an inch. Best $53.00 I have spent. From WWW.DiscountAutoParts.com $53.00 included shipping to the house from N.J. to TN.

I also order my MOOG front end parts from them at a much cheaper price than other places.

Stephen

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
which ones would be best for my 9C1. I have 225/70r15 in the front with one coil cut from 9c1 springs and 275/60r15 in rear. So, what I want to find out is which springs to install to make the fender gap the same height, not the frame. I can't do any measurements at this time since my motor is out and no gas in the tank or anything in trunk. I believe the front should be close to an ss height so I think my options are: stock ss springs, moog cc621, or moog cc627, thanks for the help.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Would those Cargo springs work well if I'm trying to keep the car from dropping when I have people in it? My Eibach's aren't cutting it anymore.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts