Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while ago I had the car up on a lift and re-did the whole rear suspension. Hotchkis sway bar, Xtend rear control arms, lowering springs, and KYB shocks. At the same time I put in the new Borla exhaust. I've had mod fever for the past few months :D :D :D

Well, anyways, I never posted pictures. I think it looks MEAN. Here are some pictures:

Before:

And after:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
95 wagon -

PLEASE...PLEASE don't tell me that. I was debating when I put them in which way to put them. I had limited time on the lift and didn't have to to call Hotchkis (they are Hotchkis springs BTW, and it handles/rides nice). In the end I decided that it really doesn't matter which way you put them in. Or does it? Logically, it doesn't make sense that it would really matter. Someone please explain if I'm wrong... :eek:

Zack

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
which way is up

it does look like u got it upside down.

since the hotchkis spring is progressive rated (Front 500-630 lbs/in Rear 180-240 lbs/in).

usualy you want softer spring during normal driving and stiff it up when cornering.

so if you change the dimenson, you are just changing the rating to 240-180 in the rear, which is not that much difference.

but i thought the spring will going only one way though...

David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seeing all that rust just scared the hell outta me! :eek: I have joked before anbout NE cars having rust, but I really had no idea.

Yes, I like the looks of the new suspension :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, we get pretty hard with rust up here. But most of the stuff that was rusted was replaced. Mainly what you see in the before pics is the exhaust, sway bar, and CAs. But my rear axle could use some POR 15, and I'm dying for a 1/2" extended driveshaft. Anyone want to trade? :D But the frame isn't too bad, it just has surface rust.

Can anyone give me an idea of what it would take to make it look really nice?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, those springs are upside down. Fortunately, it's pretty easy to R&R rear springs (especially lowering springs) WITHOUT a lift. Just put it on jackstands on the frame in back, remove the rear wheels, and pull the lower shock mounts. At that point, the springs will either fall out or be quite easy to push out.

When you reinstall them, be sure you index them properly. And yes, it IS important
. If you need directions on that part, let me know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So faSSt,It looked like from your pics that the springs don't pigtail on the ends,if they do maybe it's just not visible from your pics,I just Bought new intrax springs and they are pigged on both ends,AutocroSSer ,what exactly is indexing?I haven't installed my springs yet cause I want to replace my front end parts first,so i don't have to pay for two alignments.So faSSt,how much of a difference did the upgrade make ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Roadslayer,

Here are some pics of my rear suspension before I put it on the car. This should answer your questions (yes they do pigtail).

I couldn't tell you what kind of a difference they make. First off, I haven't even re-done the front suspension yet (besides the front end kit, which I did a while ago). The car has been out of commission for a while (blown tranny, mod fever, etc.) I really haven't driven it since I did the rear.

So I hear that you're going to replace your front end parts... :D Send me an email if you need a front end kit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by So FaSSt:
Can anyone give me an idea of what it would take to make it look really nice?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

undercoat it!!!! mine looked like yours (being from florida) and its a night/day difference after wards....my underside is all nice and black now :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Indexing the springs means simply that you make sure the pigtails are pointed in the right direction.

On the rear springs, this means that the TOP pigtail end should be pointed towards the LEFT side of the car. Yes, on both springs.

For the front springs, this means that the bottom pigtail should be covering ONE, but not BOTH, of the small holes in the control arm spring pocket.

Not indexing the springs is a good way to end up with wierd ride harmonics, as well as an uneven ride from side to side.

BTW, this is all in the Factory Service Manual (FSM).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by So FaSSt:
What is involved? Would I have to take out exhaust, suspension, axle, driveshaft, etc.? Cost estimate? TIA.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As far as what is involved Im really not sure, but Im sure you dont have to take anything out. It cost me $300 for a shop to do it, undercoating and rustproofing...if you have parts that have heavy scaly rust then its recomended that you sandblast it first.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
they spray above your driveshaft, but not the driveshaft itself...the shop I went to sprayed into every nook and crevice... I was very satisfied with the work...the only thing that scared the S**T outta me is when I saw overspray on my $3K wheels :eek: I thought they were runined, but luckily came easily off with sum bug and tar remover. WHEW!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hey guys,
it looks nice. i re did my suspension last winter. how far did it lower the car? how is the ride now? thanks
craig

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I haven't installed the front suspension yet. The car has barely been driven because it has been worked on constantly for the past couple of months :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is the stock exhaust on all these cars like that over the axles? Or is it something Borla did with thier kit? Seems like this way has alot less of a bend over the axle than my car does.

Mine goes up over, then pretty much straight down and off to the side of the car so it can exit out the back. I don't have pics right now to show but I can get some in about a week or so.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.