Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone. I am going to be installing a Hotchkis spring set. My axle is painted with Por 15 And the frame is painted with por 15 as well. I have two red energy suspension spring insulators that came with my trailing arm bushing kit (purchased separate). Do these go on the axle end or on the frame end of the spring? My manual says “wagon only” for insulators on the lower part of the spring at the axle perch. I’m not sure if this means the 94-96 Impala didn’t come with insulators on the bottom????
1. Did the Impala only have insulators on the top?
2. How should I get them to hold? Gorilla glue and some kind of clamp over night? Would Gorilla glue be too stiff? Is there something else anyone has that is a better suggestion? They just slip off. I’d hate to lose them on the road
3. I have the 2 red energy suspension Insulators and 4 black ones that camewith the Hotchkis set. What’s the best thing to do here Red or black or both? Is there a reason the bottom is not called for in the Factory manual? ........Thanks
09C99306-F527-49BB-B86A-A00BCBE4451B.jpeg

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Upper isolater does a better job of reducing noise/vibration(s) than bottom in my opinion.
Some use both, some use neither. You could apply some RTV in mounting area prior to installing
springs, and lowering it to the ground if worried about either getting away.

Reactions: helpthe95

·
Registered
14 Posts
I tried to glue it but when I lifted the springs like a month after I saw the bottom insulators not seated properly, the side that the spring end isn't pushing down on was completely off.

Now I ziptied it on the side the spring end isn't pushing down on and that seemed to do the trick, it stays in place perfectly.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Sounds like another case of extended trailing arm drawbacks.
Springs work just fine w/o isolators by the way.

Reactions: 95wagon

·
Registered
640 Posts
I generally use some electrical tape to attach the isolater to the spring. Never had an issue with the isolater coming off the spring or body. I also have isolaters on the top and bottom of the rear springs to reduce any rattles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts