Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a good sway bar for the rear of my 96 Caprice Wagon. Low buck would suit me best. Just want to take a little lean out on corners and help the car go down the road a little straighter. One of the pluses of adding sway bars! Seems to be some controversy so I thought I would do a new post. Ted

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you decide on a Hotchkis, try not to drive it with a stock front, or in other words, expect to buy a front bar too to make it right. I guess I got way to much bar for the back compared to the front because ever since I put it on, by back swings out all the time particularly if there is any moisture on the road at all. If I take corners hard, it wants to break loose back there easier before than without it.

Just my limited experience

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If by any chance their still available, you could opt for the Herb Adams rear sway bar. The Metco rear LCA's work extremely well with this set up too!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm running an Impala SS front sway bar w/ new hardware from NAISSO.

and a Hotchkis rear with Global West LCAs. I love it. Made a huge difference.

In order to do a rear bar, you MUST get better LCAs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BTW, all of you newbies.....

create a post in the GP or vendor section about getting a new GP going on these parts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The new B-Body Performance rear wagon bar will be available in the next few weeks. The Hotchkis bar is cold bent and is susceptible to shearing at the control arm. This new B-Body Performance Bar is heat bent and then heat treated for superior strength, then backed by a lifetime warranty. Made by a B-Body owner for B-Body owners. You can get anything better!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tom, how does the new rear wagon bar compare to the Hotchkis stiffness wise?
Little more, little less, the same?
Have you tested a wagon with them yet?
Any tangible reason for me to change from my Hotchkis?
Stocking item, or pay and wait?
No jabs intended, honest questions.
Thanks, Gerry Charlesworth

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good questions Gerry!!

Used in combination with the B-Body Perf. Front bar the system will seem a little more stiff. The Hotchkis Bar was never intended to do anything but control the natural sway of the rear end that did not have a sway bar from the factory. It was never even tested in any real world situations. This includes tests on the street or on the track. It was measured and bent to the Impala SS rear specs. As you guys are well aware the wagon is several hundred pounds heavier in the rear than the Impala SS.

Have we tested the new bar on a wagon? Most definitely!! That is the only way to see what size rear bar will work properly. I have three wagons with three different bars installed currently.

Tangible reasons to change. It is a personal option. That is determined by what you do with your wagon. If you are ever going to autocross, road race, or push the limits of your wagon on the streets and freeway then this is a definite yes. If you just drive it around on the street and never push the car on the freeway and drive a maximum of 60 mph all the time, then truthfully the answer would be no. I would not spend the extra money. I am not making these to make money; they are being made to make your wagon perform as best as it can be made to. One more point to make about the Hotchkis is reliability. Their bar is cold bent. This makes the metal susceptible to shearing. This has happened too many of these bars. Many of them are owners who frequent these forums. This shearing of the rear bar usually occurs at the control arm. B-Body Perf. Bars are heat bent and heat treated for maximum strength. They also carry a lifetime warranty.

They will be a stockable item. They are scheduled for manufacturing 3rd week of December. We have one more test to perform on the bars before I submit my final specs to the manufacture.

Hope I have answered your questions to your satisfaction. If not or these answers create more questions I will answer them as honestly as possible.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks,everyone. Tom, looks like you have put your heart and soul into this. I will be anxiously awaiting the "birth" next month. Ted

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You know this is a perfect time for those who want to enter the realm of upgrading their suspension systems at a discount. I can foresee a huge number of Hotchkis Springs and Sway Bars in the for sale section soon. Chevmdnss, at the moment the demand for slightly used Hotchkis equipment is high and the supply is low, this spells opportunity for you to upgrade quite cheaply. However I can almost guarantee by the spring of 2005 after the pre-orders on the new B-Body suspension parts have long been delivered, installed, and are being reported to fellow forum members how they work, that there will be more people looking to sell their used Hotchkis parts. Let’s hope the mayhem is controllable. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Like Gerry, I have the Hotchkiss rear bar. However, I'm still using the stock front bar and don't have a problem with it. As a matter of fact, I like the "neutral" feeling.

Matt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I too have the Hotchkiss rear bar & LCA's in RMW after seeing what Gerry was running. Got F40 front bar. All feels great, very neutral but want to add ZQ8 bumps & Monroe Sev. Svc. shocks to tighten things up more.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tom, I was just giving ya a hard time... hell I JUST got mine installed 2 or so weeks ago. It sat in the garage for over a year. Damn Hotchkis for not sending hardware! Damn this town for not selling the right sizes!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.