Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As anybody ever tried installing a frame mounted rear sway bar on a Impala? I tried to do some research but found nothing.

There's kits made for the A-Body Chevelles that look like they might fit our cars.

Something like this.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Mike Harris (1FAST94) has made a few,but his are designed for launches at the drag strip.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The wagon owners use the rear bar from Crown Vics and Grand Marquis's. There are larger aftermarket bars available from summit and the like. The bars mount like those in your pic above.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Interesting setup.

I'm just wondering....if anyone has the DMR triangulation braces, if this rear bar setup would work. Just throwing it out there as there may be some interference in that tight area.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think it will interfere because the end link goes thru the lower part of the rear "cross member". Have a look at the pic I got from the thread I mentioned above.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So much for the rear Marauder bar. Ford just told me the bar retail for $1200 up here in Canada. I then called the Ford dealer in Plattsburgh NY and they said it's $1100USD now.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
You want the plain'ol crown vic. The maurader and P71 got smaller bars as they had stiffer springs.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After a couple of emails back and forth with Hellwig to get some specs on the Chevelle bar I decided to try out their rear sway bar for the 68-72 A-body. Part #55868 Got it from Classis Performace Products on eBay for $235.

I was going to go for the Addco Marauder 1" bar but after adding up all the parts it would of cost me more then this complete kit.

I also ordered my front sway bar at the same time. Hellwig #5720

For now I just had time to mount it on the diff. To be continued..

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So I went back to the shop this morning to finsh up this install.

I wish it could go right here. It would've been to easy lol. The angle is way off.

This is were I want it.

Time to make a template.

This is the passenger side.

and the driver side.

***PLEASE NOTE I SHORTENED THE HELLWIG END LINKS BY 1 TO HELP KEEP THE BAR AT A GOOD ANGLE***

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I will be using 1/4" plate for my brackets. The Hellwig clevis were tacked on the plates.

The outside of the brackets will be resting on the round tubing I added to reinforce the rear crossmember. I might weld them later.

Everything fits time to weld on the clevises. I also drilled two 3/8" holes to mount these.

and paint.

All bolted up.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Couldn't the mounting points have been brought rearward by just rotating the u-bolts that hold the bar bushings rearward?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Couldn't the mounting points have been brought rearward by just rotating the u-bolts that hold the bar bushings rearward?
Yes probably, but I needed at least two inches. The more you pivot the u-bolts the more the bar gets pulled upwards. I probably would have had to buy shorter end-links to keep the bar as parallel to the ground as possible.

·
Registered
78 Posts
So how do you like the setup?

95 BBB Impala SS
312cc ls truck motor, long tubes, fast 102, nick William's 102, custom CAI, and custom flow master exhaust.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
was readin up on this too. and yeah i checked at work (unfortunately i work at ford garage) the 17 mm bar is only 80... the 21 is 1000. WHAT THE HELL?! anyways i was wonderin if anyone used the tahoe bar yet?

dont be mean, i tried the search and all it had was a forsale link and the old sticky thread.

i'm figurein if the tahoe bar works, there's plenty of them in the yards near me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts