Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
3,776 Posts
Not the end of the world to remove it--it's an "add-on" item in production that isn't essential. The car is more balanced with a rear bar, but you may or may not notice the difference, depending on how you drive.

What are the "ongoing problems" you're having?

· Registered
1,824 Posts
You say "screw". Is it the style that threads up through the bar from the bottom? And there is a C-Channel inside the control arm, held in by 2 sheet metal screws on each side, of each arm? If so, that is the early mounting system, that GM issued a TSB for, and went with a different mounting style. I though the TSB was issued, because the screws/bolts would come loose. If that's the system that's on there, I would replace the arms/hardware with the later style stuff.

the later style mount has the bolts coming from the top of the arm, with a sleeve around the bolt, inside the arm. The Sleeve is between a large square washer on the bottom, and the top of the arm. The bar is sandwhiched between the large square washer, and then a smaller octagon shaped washer, then the nut on the bottom.

Which system is it? I wish I had pictures on my computer. All my 9C1's had the updated later system, as did my 96 Civi Caprice. But the rest of them(94's & 95's), had the early style mounting.

I would leave the bar on if you can figure it out. I didn't realize how much it helped balance the handling, until I removed the rear bar, and drove the car around. Then put the bar back on, and saw how the car had the slightest feel that is was sliding the rear around on you. Instead of the plowing ahead understeer feel it had. But, the 96 civi caprice of mine, along with one of my 9C1's, are both missing the rear bar, and they drive perfectly fine. Remove the front bar, or had messed up links... that is a different story. When I bought the 96 civi, the front sway bar links had no rubber bushings in them. The car handled like crap, if you ask me. It also seemed like the nose was diving more than it should. I found the nearest parts store, and replaced the links before I drove it 150 miles home. Felt much more stable after that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.